- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Nazi Fashion in China
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- The Best Place to Eat and Poop, Together!
- Philadelphia CheeseSteak Ice Cream
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Those Creepy Japanese Videos, Finally Explained
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- The New iOS Game From the Creators of AsiaObscura
- Red Onion-Flavored Red Wine
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Gorgeously Gory Paintings in a Burmese Temple
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
- Another Diana Pose at the Taj Mahal
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- Inspector Black Cat: China’s Gore-Soaked Answer to Tom & Jerry
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- The Eko Nugroho Flower Suit Lives On
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Plants vs Zombies, The Chinese Knockoff Toys
Tag Archives: war
Back in the cultural revolution, China was in turmoil. Almost anything could get you in trouble. Han Xin, a blacklisted artist, told me that painting the sun the wrong shade of red would mean jail time. Absolutely everything had to be in unquestionable service to Mao and a Maoist China. The only plays were ...
"Look at that soldier," said a burly Dongbei redneck, shoving past me to get a better look at the painting. "He's on fire. He's a real man." His sweaty pal leaned in, and laughed. The torched soldier was still letting loose a volley of bullets from his machine gun, mowing down a row of terrified ...
Not many foreigners know about Sanmao. Here in China, though, he’s bigger than Disney. He's as prone to mischief as Bart Simpson. As endlessly honest as Richie Rich. And as dark as Charlie Brown. Darker. Even though Sanmao comics are as much for kids as they are adults, they're filled with death, ...
Jiao Zhibing is 70 years old. He's spent his entire life in a tiny village called Jiaozhuanghu (焦庄户). As a child, he handled missives and reconnaissance for liberation fighters. Today though, carrying wood-carved grenades and a red-tasseled spear everywhere he goes, he's a living tourist attraction. Between 1943 and 1948, China was in ...
I'm not a stamp geek. My dad is, my nephew is... but to be perfectly honest, I had some low expectations for the Beijing Stamp Museum. Even with free admission, four floors, over one million stamps, and "for rent" magnifying glasses, Michelle and I were the only visitors. But I have to admit, this museum is ...
To celebrate the 69th birthday of Kim Jong Il, this entire week is jam packed with DPRKoolness. Today, we explore Kim Jong Il's feelings about America. Where do they come from? How did he feel as a kid? Find out, below... (At the age of six) Kim Jong Il harboured a bitter hatred for the class ...
In celebration of Kim Jong Il's 69th birthday, this week is flooded with DPRKoolness. Today, we learn that Kim Jong Il by the age of five is a master equestrian. But what about his marksmanship? Can he handle a gun? Find out, in these excerpts from his official biography, below! Young Kim, shortly before he became ...
Happy 69th birthday, Kim Jong Il! To celebrate this holy day, this entire week will be jam packed with DPRKoolness. First, the true story of the birth of the Dear Leader, Kim Jong Il. These wonderful snippets -- many of them truly endearing, some just funny -- are from volume one of Kim Jong Il's ...