- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Nazi Fashion in China
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- The Poem I Can’t Find…
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- China’s first sci-fi movie: Death Ray on Coral Island (1980)
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Our Six Best China Stories!
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
- Inspector Black Cat: China’s Gore-Soaked Answer to Tom & Jerry
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- Noel Wilson’s Awesome Soccer-Themed House
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- The Great Chinese Chip Taste-Off
- Chisney & Koreansney: Local Disney Knockoffs
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- Beyond the Valley of the Dwarfs: The Strangest Theme Park Ever?
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- 13 Amazing Indian Circus Posters
- Dr Shankar’s Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
Tag Archives: violence
Singapore is bland. It's a high-priced row of shopping malls and fine eateries, with a few hawker markets thrown in. "It's soooooo boring," warned my hairdresser Miss P. But then you stumble on something like this. The Tiger Balm Gardens: The most disturbing theme park of all time. There's sex, violence, bear-maulings and scabies. ...
Two and a half thousand years ago, Prince Zhong'er was hungry. He was in exile. His state was in turmoil. He'd lost his castle, his kitchen and surely his chef as well. So what else was there to do but start eating his followers? That's what I discovered on Mianshan Mountain in Shanxi Province, in the ...
A few weeks ago, I posted about the Incredible Taoist Gods -- cool court officers tasked with enforcing rules of life and the afterlife. Well, to further display how far traditional Taoism strays from the mystical romance of the Tao Te Ching, here are some of the darker views of the Taoist "Way." I found ...