Also from Andy Deemer…
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- The Illegal Mae Sot-Burma Border Crossing
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Steampunk, Eat Your Heart Out in the Basement of Beijing's Printing Museum
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Antique Jews, Temple Jews, and even Plated Jews
- Lady Di's Forgotten Career?
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Possibly the Best Menu of All Time
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- The Chinese Taxidermy Diaries: The First Day
- Forensic Science Museum, Bangkok
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- Incredible Chinese Stamp Museum (first of two)
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- A Lovely Moment from Ghungroo
- Tongzhou's "Kids with Measles" Ride
- Jesus and Mary in a Little Indian Boat
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Keep the Evil Away For Chinese New Year
- Inspector Black Cat: China's Gore-Soaked Answer to Tom & Jerry
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Gorgeously Gory Paintings in a Burmese Temple
- Adventures in Cockfighting
- Chinese Tunnel Warfare and Sexual Escapades, Together!
- Insanely Creepy Cambodian Scarecrows
Tag Archives: video
If you've been wondering about the creepy Japanese videos I've been posting -- videos of girls staring blankly at the camera for a minute, then uttering a single short phrase -- I'm finally ready to offer an explanation. They're called "ミテルだけ" (pronounced "miteru dake") which means "Just Looking" or "Only Looking." I first heard about ...
When I was living in Kathmadu 20 years ago (yow!) this summer, I found this awesomely makeshift ferris wheel in a nearby theme park. A teenager would stand in the middle, and walk from one bar to the next, giving passengers a slow, staggered ride. Much more recently in southern Laos, down on the island Don Khon, ...
Here's another lamb-alicious clip from the 1975 cultural revolution ballet, "Sons & Daughters of the Grassland." Remember, while watching, that that lamb is a metaphor for something or other. Oh, I'm probably imagining that. Happy Easter, and enjoy!
When you're in a country that doesn't officially celebrate Easter, like China, sometimes you get nervous. Will the Easter Bunny get his visa yanked at the last-minute? Are you sure those chocolate eggs are melamine-free? Is the holiday even legal here?Well, we had those same concerns too, but finally decided China's gonna love Easter!Good ...
Missing those classic Yevhen Hrebinka hits? Desperate for a Chicken Kiev and a bottle of Stoli? But sick of those stern Soviet babushkas slapping down watery bowls of borscht? I hear you, brother. The closest I'd gotten to good Ukranian in Asia was in a subterranean Beijing nightclub. The bouncer outside was a scowling mohawked dwarf in ...
I put this up on YouTube a little while back, but it's definitely worth putting up here: the illegal border crossing at Mae Sot.I shot this from the Thai side of the Thai-Burmese border. To get from Mae Sot to Myawaddy, you cross a bridge, pay a toll, and have your passport confiscated for ...
Michelle's spent a slew of Chinese New Years here in Beijing, but she's never seen these before -- 大头娃娃 (Dàtóu wáwá or Dai Tao Fut) -- incredible paper mache masks that we found in the back of a junk store, in Bangkok's Chinatown. In English, they're called Big Headed Buddhas, and for just a few ...
Beijing's filled with hidden secrets. Behind all those highrise tower blocks and overpasses, there is awesomeness to be found. And so it was that we heard rumors of a decrepit half-built theme park, somewhere way out west. The rumors came from a Chinese film student, who'd heard them from a friend, who'd ...
This is incredible -- it's the illegal (but very open) border crossing between Myawaddy, Burma, and Mae Sot, Thailand. I shot this in the shadow of the official border bridge.