Also from Andy Deemer…
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- Best Pix from Bangalore's First Ever ComicCon
- China's all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Nazi Fashion in China
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
Tag Archives: video
If you've been wondering about the creepy Japanese videos I've been posting -- videos of girls staring blankly at the camera for a minute, then uttering a single short phrase -- I'm finally ready to offer an explanation. They're called "ミテルだけ" (pronounced "miteru dake") which means "Just Looking" or "Only Looking." I first heard about ...
When I was living in Kathmadu 20 years ago (yow!) this summer, I found this awesomely makeshift ferris wheel in a nearby theme park. A teenager would stand in the middle, and walk from one bar to the next, giving passengers a slow, staggered ride. Much more recently in southern Laos, down on the island Don Khon, ...
Here's another lamb-alicious clip from the 1975 cultural revolution ballet, "Sons & Daughters of the Grassland." Remember, while watching, that that lamb is a metaphor for something or other. Oh, I'm probably imagining that. Happy Easter, and enjoy!
When you're in a country that doesn't officially celebrate Easter, like China, sometimes you get nervous. Will the Easter Bunny get his visa yanked at the last-minute? Are you sure those chocolate eggs are melamine-free? Is the holiday even legal here?Well, we had those same concerns too, but finally decided China's gonna love Easter!Good ...
Missing those classic Yevhen Hrebinka hits? Desperate for a Chicken Kiev and a bottle of Stoli? But sick of those stern Soviet babushkas slapping down watery bowls of borscht? I hear you, brother. The closest I'd gotten to good Ukranian in Asia was in a subterranean Beijing nightclub. The bouncer outside was a scowling mohawked dwarf in ...
I put this up on YouTube a little while back, but it's definitely worth putting up here: the illegal border crossing at Mae Sot.I shot this from the Thai side of the Thai-Burmese border. To get from Mae Sot to Myawaddy, you cross a bridge, pay a toll, and have your passport confiscated for ...
Michelle's spent a slew of Chinese New Years here in Beijing, but she's never seen these before -- 大头娃娃 (Dàtóu wáwá or Dai Tao Fut) -- incredible paper mache masks that we found in the back of a junk store, in Bangkok's Chinatown. In English, they're called Big Headed Buddhas, and for just a few ...
Beijing's filled with hidden secrets. Behind all those highrise tower blocks and overpasses, there is awesomeness to be found. And so it was that we heard rumors of a decrepit half-built theme park, somewhere way out west. The rumors came from a Chinese film student, who'd heard them from a friend, who'd ...
This is incredible -- it's the illegal (but very open) border crossing between Myawaddy, Burma, and Mae Sot, Thailand. I shot this in the shadow of the official border bridge.