- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Nazi Fashion in China
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Those Creepy Japanese Videos, Finally Explained
- The Eko Nugroho Flower Suit Lives On
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Philadelphia CheeseSteak Ice Cream
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Eko Nugroho, We Love You. So we made a costume to prove it.
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- The Best Place to Eat and Poop, Together!
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- The New iOS Game From the Creators of AsiaObscura
- Red Onion-Flavored Red Wine
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Great New Indian Sidewalk Movie Posters
- Gorgeously Gory Paintings in a Burmese Temple
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Plants vs Zombies, The Chinese Knockoff Toys
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
Tag Archives: theme parks
Update: it's gorgeous out, so get your suntan lotion, your sunglasses, and camera, and prepare for an amazing day! There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed ...
"Before coming here, I was tending cattle, and feeding pigs," Xiao Cao told me. "I never even knew how to dance." "And now, she's our leading dancer!" laughed Zhang Furong. Xiao Cao is a dancer. Zhang Furong is a singer. They're both under 4'3" tall. They live in, and perform at, The ...
When I was living in Kathmadu 20 years ago (yow!) this summer, I found this awesomely makeshift ferris wheel in a nearby theme park. A teenager would stand in the middle, and walk from one bar to the next, giving passengers a slow, staggered ride. Much more recently in southern Laos, down on the island Don Khon, ...
While we were busy on our own adventures, Chinese tourists flocked to Beijing's glorious World Park of their own accord. Some of them with entire camera crews in tow. Wedding photos, engagement photos, bff shots, they were costumed, posed, and so immaculately arranged. Here's a couple of our favorites! Even those who didn't ...
Rickety rollercoasters, useless tour guides, and rather offputting cross dressers. Everything you could want in a Chinese theme park! What an absolutely glorious & outlandish day! Thanks to everyone who made it to AsiaObscura's inaugural event, A Trip to Beijing World Park! 世界公园, where Fengtai brings you the world! (A few pix nicked from A cuppa and ...
When the summer hits Beijing, there's nothing like the feel of the sand, waves lapping at your feet, sweet dolphins hopping at the horizon. Yep -- this summer, it's time once again to visit Crab Island, the best beach in Beijing! “But Beijing’s in the middle of the desert,” I hear you cry. "There are no ...
What is it with these half-built, then abandoned, Beijing amusement parks? We're old fans of The Romance Park of the Heart, which is filled with Swiss chalets, Siamese pagodas, and packs of wild dogs looking to tear your legs off. But we kept hearing about another one, in the opposite direction... Wonderland! Just ...
Saturday, May 7th at 1pmWhy go all the way to Badaling when the Great Wall is right here in Beijing? Join AsiaObscura.com, as we spend a day exploring the eccentricities of Beijing World Park (北京世界公园), the city's quirkiest amusement park. Experience the skyscrapers of Manhattan, the pyramids of Cairo, and even the Taj Mahal of ...
I was always sad Beijing didn't have a Disneyland for weekend fun, but it turns out we do. Well, a fake one. Not far from the center of town, at the Bajiao stop on subway Line 1, is the incredible Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park (北京石景山游乐园). Admission was about US$1.50, and what a ...
(Optimistically cute sign spotted at the Tiger Balm Gardens, a few months ago... the kids loved it!)Updates will be light this week, as Michelle and I are out on the road, exploring more wild China...
Beijing's filled with hidden secrets. Behind all those highrise tower blocks and overpasses, there is awesomeness to be found. And so it was that we heard rumors of a decrepit half-built theme park, somewhere way out west. The rumors came from a Chinese film student, who'd heard them from a friend, who'd ...