Also from Andy Deemer…
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain’t So Lucky Fish)
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- The Illegal Mae Sot-Burma Border Crossing
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Steampunk, Eat Your Heart Out in the Basement of Beijing’s Printing Museum
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Antique Jews, Temple Jews, and even Plated Jews
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Lady Di’s Forgotten Career?
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike’s Mystery House
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Possibly the Best Menu of All Time
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- Forensic Science Museum, Bangkok
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- The Chinese Taxidermy Diaries: The First Day
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- Tongzhou’s "Kids with Measles" Ride
- A Lovely Moment from Ghungroo
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Keep the Evil Away For Chinese New Year
- Jesus and Mary in a Little Indian Boat
- Incredible Chinese Stamp Museum (first of two)
- Inspector Black Cat: China’s Gore-Soaked Answer to Tom & Jerry
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Chinese Tunnel Warfare and Sexual Escapades, Together!
- Adventures in Cockfighting
- Insanely Creepy Cambodian Scarecrows
- Another Mind-Blowingly Incredible Menu
Tag Archives: theme parks
Update: it's gorgeous out, so get your suntan lotion, your sunglasses, and camera, and prepare for an amazing day! There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed ...
When I was living in Kathmadu 20 years ago (yow!) this summer, I found this awesomely makeshift ferris wheel in a nearby theme park. A teenager would stand in the middle, and walk from one bar to the next, giving passengers a slow, staggered ride. Much more recently in southern Laos, down on the island Don Khon, ...
While we were busy on our own adventures, Chinese tourists flocked to Beijing's glorious World Park of their own accord. Some of them with entire camera crews in tow. Wedding photos, engagement photos, bff shots, they were costumed, posed, and so immaculately arranged. Here's a couple of our favorites! Even those who didn't ...
Rickety rollercoasters, useless tour guides, and rather offputting cross dressers. Everything you could want in a Chinese theme park! What an absolutely glorious & outlandish day! Thanks to everyone who made it to AsiaObscura's inaugural event, A Trip to Beijing World Park! 世界公园, where Fengtai brings you the world! (A few pix nicked from A cuppa and ...
When the summer hits Beijing, there's nothing like the feel of the sand, waves lapping at your feet, sweet dolphins hopping at the horizon. Yep -- this summer, it's time once again to visit Crab Island, the best beach in Beijing! “But Beijing’s in the middle of the desert,” I hear you cry. "There are no ...
Saturday, May 7th at 1pmWhy go all the way to Badaling when the Great Wall is right here in Beijing? Join AsiaObscura.com, as we spend a day exploring the eccentricities of Beijing World Park (北京世界公园), the city's quirkiest amusement park. Experience the skyscrapers of Manhattan, the pyramids of Cairo, and even the Taj Mahal of ...
(Optimistically cute sign spotted at the Tiger Balm Gardens, a few months ago... the kids loved it!)Updates will be light this week, as Michelle and I are out on the road, exploring more wild China...
Beijing's filled with hidden secrets. Behind all those highrise tower blocks and overpasses, there is awesomeness to be found. And so it was that we heard rumors of a decrepit half-built theme park, somewhere way out west. The rumors came from a Chinese film student, who'd heard them from a friend, who'd ...