Also from Andy Deemer…
The AsiaObscura Book
"Dancing dwarfs, Nazi cosplay, and children feeding tigers... phenomenal!" - Complex.com
The Stormglass Protocol
"A Bond adventure for kids... Undeniably entertaining." - Kirkus
"A brilliant twist on the classic theme... captivating." - ForeWord Clarion
"Action-packed and fast-paced... barrels along with a cheerful intensity and no shortage of middle-grade Bond-style adventure." - Publishers Weekly
Stormglass for the iPad
"Truly immersive. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"Pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- Be an Old Man, Have a Young Wife, in Laos
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Stepping on Human Skulls in Bangalore's Black Magic Graveyard
- No Panking!
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- A Museum of Nightmares in the Shadow of the Eiffel Tower
- Celebrating Easter in China…
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Wonderfully Crumbling Old Cardboard Castle
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Fiendishly Fun Photo Ops at World Park
- Chinese Giant Salamander – a tasty treat!
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- The Ossuaries of Paris…
- Keep the Evil Away For Chinese New Year
- Lady Di's Forgotten Career?
- A Lovely Moment from Ghungroo
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- M. Deyrolle's Lovely Collection of Taxidermy
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- This Has To Be The Worst Massage Of All Time
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Coolest King Photos, Ever
Tag Archives: theme parks
Update: it's gorgeous out, so get your suntan lotion, your sunglasses, and camera, and prepare for an amazing day! There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed ...
When I was living in Kathmadu 20 years ago (yow!) this summer, I found this awesomely makeshift ferris wheel in a nearby theme park. A teenager would stand in the middle, and walk from one bar to the next, giving passengers a slow, staggered ride. Much more recently in southern Laos, down on the island Don Khon, ...
While we were busy on our own adventures, Chinese tourists flocked to Beijing's glorious World Park of their own accord. Some of them with entire camera crews in tow. Wedding photos, engagement photos, bff shots, they were costumed, posed, and so immaculately arranged. Here's a couple of our favorites! Even those who didn't ...
Rickety rollercoasters, useless tour guides, and rather offputting cross dressers. Everything you could want in a Chinese theme park! What an absolutely glorious & outlandish day! Thanks to everyone who made it to AsiaObscura's inaugural event, A Trip to Beijing World Park! 世界公园, where Fengtai brings you the world! (A few pix nicked from A cuppa and ...
When the summer hits Beijing, there's nothing like the feel of the sand, waves lapping at your feet, sweet dolphins hopping at the horizon. Yep -- this summer, it's time once again to visit Crab Island, the best beach in Beijing! “But Beijing’s in the middle of the desert,” I hear you cry. "There are no ...
Saturday, May 7th at 1pmWhy go all the way to Badaling when the Great Wall is right here in Beijing? Join AsiaObscura.com, as we spend a day exploring the eccentricities of Beijing World Park (北京世界公园), the city's quirkiest amusement park. Experience the skyscrapers of Manhattan, the pyramids of Cairo, and even the Taj Mahal of ...
(Optimistically cute sign spotted at the Tiger Balm Gardens, a few months ago... the kids loved it!)Updates will be light this week, as Michelle and I are out on the road, exploring more wild China...
Beijing's filled with hidden secrets. Behind all those highrise tower blocks and overpasses, there is awesomeness to be found. And so it was that we heard rumors of a decrepit half-built theme park, somewhere way out west. The rumors came from a Chinese film student, who'd heard them from a friend, who'd ...