- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Nazi Fashion in China
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Those Creepy Japanese Videos, Finally Explained
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- The Best Place to Eat and Poop, Together!
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Philadelphia CheeseSteak Ice Cream
- Red Onion-Flavored Red Wine
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- The New iOS Game From the Creators of AsiaObscura
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Gorgeously Gory Paintings in a Burmese Temple
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- Another Diana Pose at the Taj Mahal
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- The Eko Nugroho Flower Suit Lives On
- Mad Costumes Across Asia
Tag Archives: temple
(Also known as "The most bad-ass 'donations please' advertisement ever conceived" - io9) Halfway between the hippie-mainstay Pondicherry and proto-Jonestown Auroville lies this incredible 15-foot-tall Indian shrine of some awful crime in progress. Evisceration, again! But this wasn't just any old gutting-for-god shrine -- it was an eye-catching call for cash. The local village was ...
Okay, okay, I've been dwelling on the dark side of Taoism for too long. Sure, 19 Incredible Taoist Gods was an awesome series of sweet court officer pix, and Terrible Moments from a Taoist Temple was a collection of terrifying dioramas, but what about the lighter, cuter side of the religion? Is there one? ...
A few weeks ago, I posted about the Incredible Taoist Gods -- cool court officers tasked with enforcing rules of life and the afterlife. Well, to further display how far traditional Taoism strays from the mystical romance of the Tao Te Ching, here are some of the darker views of the Taoist "Way." I found ...
An insane Thai artist, who resides somewhere between Henry Darger and Moebius the Frenchman, realized he needed to return to his hometown, Chiang Rai, and build a temple. Not just any Wat -- it had to be something bigger, something bolder, something more... white. It was to be the most renowned tribute ...
Out near the zoo, hidden in a dusty residential neighborhood, miles from the nearest high street, is a Chiang Mai forest. In the middle of that forest, lies this piece of majesty: Wat Umong. The koans, which you'll find nailed to trees at random, read like a stocking-stuffer self-help book. But they're great. Chickens peck ...