Also from Andy Deemer…
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- Best Pix from Bangalore's First Ever ComicCon
- China's all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Nazi Fashion in China
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
Tag Archives: South Korea
Who is Totoman? Nobody knows. But is this Totoboy? Totoman reeks of charm, and a deadly smile. Maybe this is Totoman! Totoman likes his grapes deseeded... ...and his ladies, too... He lives on old potted meat in stew. And could this be Totobabe? Mama says it's true. TOTOMAN!!! Totoman Korean Toy Museum and Store, 169-2 Gwanhun-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul , 02-725-1756 Admission ₩1,000 ...
Shoved in a back alley of Seoul's hip Hongdae neighborhood, sandwiched somewhere between "Luxury Ho" Bar and the "F**kFake" Designer Boutique for Men (asterisks not included in actual name), Hello Kitty lives on. Or her cappuccinos do, at least. That's right, even though Hong Kong's legendary Hello Kitty Cafe lost the fight against gentrification, the ...
Imagine a future where donuts come in horrid flavors: carrot, tofu, spinach. Now recognize that the future clearly lives in Korea. Now imagine how it could be worse... Yep. In Korea, they've introduced the Broccoli Donut. I tried to resist. This is a country of cakes, and bakeries, and wonderful mad original tasty treats. But ...
The Ladies of Cosplay -- cute, obsessive, meticulous -- were a sight to behold. But the boys? Well, there were a few pretty awesome getups, like these.... And this chap was remarkable: But for the most part, it was "slap-a-cardboard-box-on-my-head" and "bunny-ears" affair. Sorry lads -- the lovely ladies of Korean cosplay took the prize this ...
A little canine with your coffee? Feline with your free time? Find it here at the Dog and Cat Cafes of South Korea’s capital! If you’re feeling that mid-afternoon slump, there are several branches of pet cafes scattered throughout the city where you can un-dull those 4pm doldrums and set your dander allergies on fire. Buy ...
A couple of days ago, I posted my favorite pictures of cute Korean cosplay girls -- but that's the light-hearted side of Korean cosplay. Flip the switch -- today it's time for the dark half. That's right: Korean Nazis! Now many of you are probably horrified. It's still too recent. But the Koreans love ...
While sex workers were planning to set themselves on fire across town (thanks, Comrade Joe), M and I were deep in Comic World at Seoul's SETEC Convention Center. Each and every one of these girls -- dressed like their favorite comic book characters and anime heroes -- was perfect. Ask them to pose for a photo, ...
Wandering the streets of Seoul's hipster haven, Hongdae, you'll find a treasure trove of awesomeness. But one of the first things to strike you on emerging from the Sangsu subway is this Super-collection of feisty videogame plumbers. They're all here: Mario, Luigi, power-ups and bosses, too, painted on every telephone pole for blocks. ...