- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Nazi Fashion in China
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- The Poem I Can’t Find…
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Dr Shankar’s Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- China’s first sci-fi movie: Death Ray on Coral Island (1980)
- Our Six Best China Stories!
- Chisney & Koreansney: Local Disney Knockoffs
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- Noel Wilson’s Awesome Soccer-Themed House
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- 15 More Pictures from weirdoid Tiger Balm Park
Tag Archives: scary
Back in the cultural revolution, China was in turmoil. Almost anything could get you in trouble. Han Xin, a blacklisted artist, told me that painting the sun the wrong shade of red would mean jail time. Absolutely everything had to be in unquestionable service to Mao and a Maoist China. The only plays were ...
A few months ago, we ran a rather scandalous report on the insane ting mong scarecrows we'd spotted in the jungles of Cambodia. They were terrifying, but we knew almost nothing about them. Our driver was vague, the hotel receptionist insisted she'd never seen them before. So we slapped up the photos, ...
It used to be a retreat. 90 years ago, the French spent 9 months building Bokor Hill Station up as the ultimate getaway: escape from the miserable heat and humidity of Phnom Penh. 900 laborers died while building it, but to the French all these ghosts were worth it. There was a ...
Not many foreigners know about Sanmao. Here in China, though, he’s bigger than Disney. He's as prone to mischief as Bart Simpson. As endlessly honest as Richie Rich. And as dark as Charlie Brown. Darker. Even though Sanmao comics are as much for kids as they are adults, they're filled with death, ...
A couple of days ago, I posted my favorite pictures of cute Korean cosplay girls -- but that's the light-hearted side of Korean cosplay. Flip the switch -- today it's time for the dark half. That's right: Korean Nazis! Now many of you are probably horrified. It's still too recent. But the Koreans love ...
It's so easy to be seduced by the beauty and simple peace of Cambodia... Oh, the temples, the jungles, the country roads. Although behind such breathtaking beauty sometimes there hides a wretched darkness. "Wha? What was that?" The first one we passed, we thought it was a man hiding in a bush. Waving a ...
(Optimistically cute sign spotted at the Tiger Balm Gardens, a few months ago... the kids loved it!)Updates will be light this week, as Michelle and I are out on the road, exploring more wild China...
I've seen some crazy things in Beijing. This ancient traffic-filled futuristic city was a place of awesomeness until a few nights ago. A few nights ago, we went for North Korean. Someone made a joke, the old yawner about Ethiopian: "They have food?" Evidently. My mom refused to call in the ...