- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Nazi Fashion in China
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Chisney & Koreansney: Local Disney Knockoffs
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Dr Shankar’s Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- The Poem I Can’t Find…
- Our Six Best China Stories!
- Heavy Petting in Seoul
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- Best Pix from Bangalore’s First Ever ComicCon
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- 13 Amazing Indian Circus Posters
- The Bold Boys of Korean Cosplay
- Return to Fake Disneyland? Sweeeeeet!
- China’s first sci-fi movie: Death Ray on Coral Island (1980)
- The Incredible Furniture of North Korea
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Metropolis finally finds the right marketing campaign…
- 15 More Pictures from weirdoid Tiger Balm Park
Tag Archives: Pingyao
Two-headed ladies! Ladies with tails! Big-headed ladies and snake-eating ladies and elephants, too! All this, for only 75 cents! Every year, for Chinese New Year, these tents appear across the country. This one was in rural Shanxi Province. Outside, an old lady counted her renminbi in the cold. ...
Okay, okay, I've been dwelling on the dark side of Taoism for too long. Sure, 19 Incredible Taoist Gods was an awesome series of sweet court officer pix, and Terrible Moments from a Taoist Temple was a collection of terrifying dioramas, but what about the lighter, cuter side of the religion? Is there one? ...
A few weeks ago, I posted about the Incredible Taoist Gods -- cool court officers tasked with enforcing rules of life and the afterlife. Well, to further display how far traditional Taoism strays from the mystical romance of the Tao Te Ching, here are some of the darker views of the Taoist "Way." I found ...
A $2 tuktuk ride from the ancient city of Pingyao 平遥, in the deserts of Shanxi Province, there's a wonderful little temple called Shuanglin Temple (双林寺). The name translates to something like A Pair of Forests Temple. Cute. Inside, though, you'll find a strange sight. Walk to the back, and you'll come across the Goddess Temple, ...