Buy Indian Posters
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese Pharmacies Sell Dried Sea Horses
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- A Noble Slave and an Imperial Cannibal
- Celebrating Easter in China…
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Murder, Incest, and Fratricide led to The Taj Mahal?
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke’s DVD Collection in Colombo
- Why Chinese Pharmacies Still Sell Ants
- Hindus Are Buried…?!
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- Nazi Fashion in China
- Why Chinese Drugstores Sell Deer Embryo and Penis
Also from Andy Deemer…
Tag Archives: Pingyao
Two-headed ladies! Ladies with tails! Big-headed ladies and snake-eating ladies and elephants, too! All this, for only 75 cents! Every year, for Chinese New Year, these tents appear across the country. This one was in rural Shanxi Province. Outside, an old lady counted her renminbi in the cold. ...
Okay, okay, I've been dwelling on the dark side of Taoism for too long. Sure, 19 Incredible Taoist Gods was an awesome series of sweet court officer pix, and Terrible Moments from a Taoist Temple was a collection of terrifying dioramas, but what about the lighter, cuter side of the religion? Is there one? ...
A few weeks ago, I posted about the Incredible Taoist Gods -- cool court officers tasked with enforcing rules of life and the afterlife. Well, to further display how far traditional Taoism strays from the mystical romance of the Tao Te Ching, here are some of the darker views of the Taoist "Way." I found ...
A $2 tuktuk ride from the ancient city of Pingyao 平遥, in the deserts of Shanxi Province, there's a wonderful little temple called Shuanglin Temple (双林寺). The name translates to something like A Pair of Forests Temple. Cute. Inside, though, you'll find a strange sight. Walk to the back, and you'll come across the Goddess Temple, ...