Also from Andy Deemer…
The AsiaObscura Book
The Stormglass Protocol
"Like a Bond adventure for kids... Undeniably entertaining." - Kirkus
"A brilliant twist on the classic theme... captivating." - ForeWord Clarion
"Action-packed and fast-paced... barrels along with a cheerful intensity and no shortage of middle-grade Bond-style adventure." - Publishers Weekly
Stormglass for the iPad
"Truly immersive. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"Pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- The Poem I Can't Find…
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- A Lovely Writeup of My Fowl Documentary
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Modern Day Cavemen of Shanxi
- Tongzhou's "Kids with Measles" Ride
- No Panking!
- Ready to Rumble
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Nazi Fashion in China
- Chasing the Shaman in Mongolia
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- A Museum of Nightmares in the Shadow of the Eiffel Tower
Tag Archives: movies
This Wednesday thru Friday, if you're in Beijing, you shouldn't miss the best of the "model operas," The Red Detachment of Women (红色娘子军). Playing for three nights only at Poly Plaza. It's called a model opera, but it's actually a ballet. The eight model operas were, during the height of the cultural ...
In the last few weeks, we've brought you 1950s girl basketball melodramas, 1940s street urchin black comedies, and saucy 1920s road worker flicks. This week, though, we've got something entirely different: a fantastic pre-liberation pre-code comedy!"SCENES OF CITY LIFE" (都市风光)FREE! This Tuesday, Jan 25th at 7pm7 Dongmianhua Hutong, Beijing江湖酒吧, 北京交道口南大街东棉花胡同7号6401-4611 / ...
This Tuesday night is gonna be an exciting one at Jianghu -- join us (The World of Chinese, that is!) as we welcome freezing January with Woman Basketball Player No. 5 (女篮五号), a fantastically warming 1957 sports adventure, directed by the legendary Xie Jin. It's got girls, rivalry, action, basketball, crushes, and even accordion singalongs. ...
Chinese movie night at Jianghu Jiuba continues this week with last year's incredible Cow (斗牛, Dou Niu), an hilarious black comedy set in the mountains of Shandong. It's the simple and possibly true story of a poor peasant boy, a snarky dead girl, and a monstrously large overseas cow. "Brilliant!... A tour-de-force..." VarietyWinner, Best Actor ...
Two weeks ago, we showed "The Winter of Sanmao" to a packed house at Jianghu Jiuba. It was incredible. I got a little tipsy, and CCTV published three hard-hitting stories. ("Laughter was waged," they wrote. "Outside, wind just started to moan. Inside, it was common to hear people laughing!" Oh, and my introduction to the ...