- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Nazi Fashion in China
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- Chisney & Koreansney: Local Disney Knockoffs
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Dr Shankar’s Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- The Poem I Can’t Find…
- Our Six Best China Stories!
- Heavy Petting in Seoul
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- Best Pix from Bangalore’s First Ever ComicCon
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- 13 Amazing Indian Circus Posters
- Return to Fake Disneyland? Sweeeeeet!
- China’s first sci-fi movie: Death Ray on Coral Island (1980)
- The Incredible Furniture of North Korea
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Metropolis finally finds the right marketing campaign…
- The Bold Boys of Korean Cosplay
- 15 More Pictures from weirdoid Tiger Balm Park
Tag Archives: Mao
The cultural revolution-era "Learning English" book blew my mind, but when I stumbled on this little "Learn Chinese" booklet the other day, I was touched. It represented such a different side of the Cultural Revolution. Instead of war/hate/fear of the "Learn English" book, this one radiates with the hope, promise, and togetherness that ...
Back in the cultural revolution, China was in turmoil. Almost anything could get you in trouble. Han Xin, a blacklisted artist, told me that painting the sun the wrong shade of red would mean jail time. Absolutely everything had to be in unquestionable service to Mao and a Maoist China. The only plays were ...
I recently had the opportunity to sip hot black coffee with a high ranking Pakistani official, and while everyone else is talking Osama and war, we talked fruit. "My basic objective here is to improve the trade between Pakistan and China," he told me. "I'm trying to diversify the trade, to go into newer fields..." He counted ...