- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Nazi Fashion in China
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- The Best Place to Eat and Poop, Together!
- Philadelphia CheeseSteak Ice Cream
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Those Creepy Japanese Videos, Finally Explained
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- The New iOS Game From the Creators of AsiaObscura
- Red Onion-Flavored Red Wine
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Gorgeously Gory Paintings in a Burmese Temple
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
- Another Diana Pose at the Taj Mahal
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- Inspector Black Cat: China’s Gore-Soaked Answer to Tom & Jerry
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- Soy Sauce Kit Kats (and other awesome flavors)
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- The Eko Nugroho Flower Suit Lives On
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
Tag Archives: Laos
On a trip to Laos, recently, my parents found the perfect birthday present for Michelle: matching bottles of snake and scorpion booze. Recognizing the fact that my mom doesn't drink, this strange gift oozes with awesomeness. "Don't drink it all at once," my dad said. Unlike my mom, he's a fantastic tippler. The ...
When I was living in Kathmadu 20 years ago (yow!) this summer, I found this awesomely makeshift ferris wheel in a nearby theme park. A teenager would stand in the middle, and walk from one bar to the next, giving passengers a slow, staggered ride. Much more recently in southern Laos, down on the island Don Khon, ...
We got lucky in Don Khon -- the island's annual celebrations were well underway the weekend we were there. Here in southern Laos, evidently "big celebrations" means "get mad drunk and hit the temples," cos that's what everyone did. The Wat laid out a huge spread, with hand-cranked carousels, dart gambling, cover bands, and tons ...
The long, slow, dusty bus-ride cost 20 cents and took lord knows how long. But eventually it delivered us to the incredible Buddha Park. You see, 40 or so years ago, some loony Lao was hiking along a remote mountain trace, accidentally tripped, and fell into a hole. A deep hole. It was a lot like ...
Imagine the most pristine, untouched, slow-moving river. A place that seems from a dream. It carefully wraps around banks of green, where water buffalo and cows nap in the shade, and wake to sip from small pools. Four novice monks hold umbrellas for shade as they cross a rickety old bridge. ...