Also from Andy Deemer…
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Best Pix from Bangalore's First Ever ComicCon
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Nazi Fashion in China
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
Tag Archives: gross
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop and wonder... why on earth would someone eat this madness? A few months ago, I decided to find out. Part 1: Eat snake for healthier skin Part 2: Eat ants to keep that lustrous hair Part 3: Deer penis will keep you ...
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop and wonder... why on earth would someone eat these crazy things? A few months ago, I decided to find out. Part 1: Eat snake for healthier skin Part 2: Eat ants to keep that lustrous hair Part 3: Deer penis will keep ...
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop. You've seen them -- the deer antlers and sea cucumbers sold in gift boxes; the dusty owls perched above the counter; the ants, sea horses, and snakes in cabinets. You can't help but wonder... at least, I can't... why ...
I adore TCM. But I don't know what to say about this bowl of "Pigeon Soup with Chinese Medicine" we ordered last night at Gongti's Xuxian Lou (许仙楼的《川弓海马乳鸽汤》). Yep, that's a sea horse floating on top. I found myself eating around it, taking bites of dark red meats, chewing down foul beans, and sipping up the ...
I found these little puppies while looking for the Tak Fat beef ball stall, in the back of the Haiphong Road Temporary Muslim Market. Loved the simplicity with which they hung there (and desperately wanted to wear one as a mask.)
You might think it a bad idea to eat all these weird and raw meats -- like diaphram. I did, too. So I trolled the streets of Tokyo until I found the world's only Parasite Museum. Sadly, everything was written in Japanese, and I couldn't find a single employee to translate. ...
Another of Tokyo's "best meal" contenders was Toraji Param, a Korean hormone restaurant on the 500-something-th floor of some fancy Tokyo building. As the elevator flew up the 5000 flights, my ears popped. At our table, floor-to-ceiling windows showed off all of Tokyo. It was jaw-dropping, to put it mildly. And then the ...
Chiang Mai's an interesting town: a lot like Bangkok, but on a much smaller scale. Hundreds of coffee shops. Great boutiques. And old white men with young Thai girls. Absolutely everywhere. Old hippies with Thai women in their 40s, and adorable little hapa kids. Bald and bearded bikers with chubby teenagers. Backpackers with stunning beauties. ...
Deep in the bowels of the King's Hospital, if you look hard enough, you'll eventually find the stomach-churning absolutely wonderful Forensic Science Museum. I've a weak stomach, but the permanent exhibit here is unmissable. (Photos aren't allowed, so I apologize for this scarce and clumsy record. You'll clearly have to go, yourself.) ...