Also from Andy Deemer…
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- Nazi Fashion in China
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- Best Pix from Bangalore's First Ever ComicCon
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- China's all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
Tag Archives: gross
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop and wonder... why on earth would someone eat this madness? A few months ago, I decided to find out. Part 1: Eat snake for healthier skin Part 2: Eat ants to keep that lustrous hair Part 3: Deer penis will keep you ...
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop and wonder... why on earth would someone eat these crazy things? A few months ago, I decided to find out. Part 1: Eat snake for healthier skin Part 2: Eat ants to keep that lustrous hair Part 3: Deer penis will keep ...
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop. You've seen them -- the deer antlers and sea cucumbers sold in gift boxes; the dusty owls perched above the counter; the ants, sea horses, and snakes in cabinets. You can't help but wonder... at least, I can't... why ...
I adore TCM. But I don't know what to say about this bowl of "Pigeon Soup with Chinese Medicine" we ordered last night at Gongti's Xuxian Lou (许仙楼的《川弓海马乳鸽汤》). Yep, that's a sea horse floating on top. I found myself eating around it, taking bites of dark red meats, chewing down foul beans, and sipping up the ...
I found these little puppies while looking for the Tak Fat beef ball stall, in the back of the Haiphong Road Temporary Muslim Market. Loved the simplicity with which they hung there (and desperately wanted to wear one as a mask.)
You might think it a bad idea to eat all these weird and raw meats -- like diaphram. I did, too. So I trolled the streets of Tokyo until I found the world's only Parasite Museum. Sadly, everything was written in Japanese, and I couldn't find a single employee to translate. ...
Another of Tokyo's "best meal" contenders was Toraji Param, a Korean hormone restaurant on the 500-something-th floor of some fancy Tokyo building. As the elevator flew up the 5000 flights, my ears popped. At our table, floor-to-ceiling windows showed off all of Tokyo. It was jaw-dropping, to put it mildly. And then the ...
Chiang Mai's an interesting town: a lot like Bangkok, but on a much smaller scale. Hundreds of coffee shops. Great boutiques. And old white men with young Thai girls. Absolutely everywhere. Old hippies with Thai women in their 40s, and adorable little hapa kids. Bald and bearded bikers with chubby teenagers. Backpackers with stunning beauties. ...
Deep in the bowels of the King's Hospital, if you look hard enough, you'll eventually find the stomach-churning absolutely wonderful Forensic Science Museum. I've a weak stomach, but the permanent exhibit here is unmissable. (Photos aren't allowed, so I apologize for this scarce and clumsy record. You'll clearly have to go, yourself.) ...