Also from Andy Deemer…
The Stormglass Novel
Stormglass for the iPad
"A truly immersive experience, The Stormglass Protocol is a room escape puzzle game like no other. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"The Stormglass Protocol... pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- The Poem I Can't Find…
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- A Lovely Writeup of My Fowl Documentary
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Ready to Rumble
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Nazi Fashion in China
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- A Noble Slave and an Imperial Cannibal
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- China's all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- A Museum of Nightmares in the Shadow of the Eiffel Tower
- Rediscovering Beijing: The Ancient Observatory
- Goodbye Telegram / Hello Telegram
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Great Art Tributes from The Stormglass Protocol
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Possibly the Best Menu of All Time
Tag Archives: Events
This past weekend, AO hosted our third BeijingObscura outing: a return to the magnificent Copyright Infringement Park, aka Fake Disneyland! Thanks to everyone who made it--it wouldn't have been the same without you, and your absolute awesomeness!!!
Update: it's gorgeous out, so get your suntan lotion, your sunglasses, and camera, and prepare for an amazing day! There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed ...
Thanks to the kind folks at City Weekend Beijing, for their lovely interview with TheWooLandHotel about AO! See below for the full interview... Or you can read the interview on City Weekend's website.
Oh, what a day! Perfect skies, plastic palm trees with rubber coconuts, terrifyingly rusty water tubes, toxic water, and incredible meat on a stick. All in the flight path of Beijing International Airport's, just a few miles away. (Vroooooom!) Only one person actually howled, "That was the best day of my life," but ...
Rickety rollercoasters, useless tour guides, and rather offputting cross dressers. Everything you could want in a Chinese theme park! What an absolutely glorious & outlandish day! Thanks to everyone who made it to AsiaObscura's inaugural event, A Trip to Beijing World Park! 世界公园, where Fengtai brings you the world! (A few pix nicked from A cuppa and ...
When the summer hits Beijing, there's nothing like the feel of the sand, waves lapping at your feet, sweet dolphins hopping at the horizon. Yep -- this summer, it's time once again to visit Crab Island, the best beach in Beijing! “But Beijing’s in the middle of the desert,” I hear you cry. "There are no ...
Saturday, May 7th at 1pmWhy go all the way to Badaling when the Great Wall is right here in Beijing? Join AsiaObscura.com, as we spend a day exploring the eccentricities of Beijing World Park (北京世界公园), the city's quirkiest amusement park. Experience the skyscrapers of Manhattan, the pyramids of Cairo, and even the Taj Mahal of ...
In the last few weeks, we've brought you 1950s girl basketball melodramas, 1940s street urchin black comedies, and saucy 1920s road worker flicks. This week, though, we've got something entirely different: a fantastic pre-liberation pre-code comedy!"SCENES OF CITY LIFE" (都市风光)FREE! This Tuesday, Jan 25th at 7pm7 Dongmianhua Hutong, Beijing江湖酒吧, 北京交道口南大街东棉花胡同7号6401-4611 / ...
This Tuesday night is gonna be an exciting one at Jianghu -- join us (The World of Chinese, that is!) as we welcome freezing January with Woman Basketball Player No. 5 (女篮五号), a fantastically warming 1957 sports adventure, directed by the legendary Xie Jin. It's got girls, rivalry, action, basketball, crushes, and even accordion singalongs. ...
Chinese movie night at Jianghu Jiuba continues this week with last year's incredible Cow (斗牛, Dou Niu), an hilarious black comedy set in the mountains of Shandong. It's the simple and possibly true story of a poor peasant boy, a snarky dead girl, and a monstrously large overseas cow. "Brilliant!... A tour-de-force..." VarietyWinner, Best Actor ...
Two weeks ago, we showed "The Winter of Sanmao" to a packed house at Jianghu Jiuba. It was incredible. I got a little tipsy, and CCTV published three hard-hitting stories. ("Laughter was waged," they wrote. "Outside, wind just started to moan. Inside, it was common to hear people laughing!" Oh, and my introduction to the ...