- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Nazi Fashion in China
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- Those Creepy Japanese Videos, Finally Explained
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- The Best Place to Eat and Poop, Together!
- Philadelphia CheeseSteak Ice Cream
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- Red Onion-Flavored Red Wine
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- The New iOS Game From the Creators of AsiaObscura
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- Gorgeously Gory Paintings in a Burmese Temple
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- Another Diana Pose at the Taj Mahal
- The Eko Nugroho Flower Suit Lives On
- Mad Costumes Across Asia
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
Tag Archives: death
Singapore is bland. It's a high-priced row of shopping malls and fine eateries, with a few hawker markets thrown in. "It's soooooo boring," warned my hairdresser Miss P. But then you stumble on something like this. The Tiger Balm Gardens: The most disturbing theme park of all time. There's sex, violence, bear-maulings and scabies. ...
It used to be a retreat. 90 years ago, the French spent 9 months building Bokor Hill Station up as the ultimate getaway: escape from the miserable heat and humidity of Phnom Penh. 900 laborers died while building it, but to the French all these ghosts were worth it. There was a ...
A few weeks ago, I posted about the Incredible Taoist Gods -- cool court officers tasked with enforcing rules of life and the afterlife. Well, to further display how far traditional Taoism strays from the mystical romance of the Tao Te Ching, here are some of the darker views of the Taoist "Way." I found ...
With Melaka being a culture mix of Indian, Malay, Chinese, Dutch and Portuguese, amongst others, local customs are very much honored and preserved. Buddhists, keeping up with modern times, offer their ancestors the very best in the afterlife. Apart from the expected cash to spend and incense to purify and keep them from ...
The Beijing suburbs are expanding like mad.We spent the last ten days living in a small Tongzhou village, an hour east of Beijing, and construction was non-stop. Every day we were there, a ramshackle house was torn down and replaced by a building site. New walls would go up in hours. Bricks and dust were ...