Also from Andy Deemer…
The Stormglass Novel
Stormglass for the iPad
"A truly immersive experience, The Stormglass Protocol is a room escape puzzle game like no other. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"The Stormglass Protocol... pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- The Poem I Can't Find…
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- A Lovely Writeup of My Fowl Documentary
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- Ready to Rumble
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Nazi Fashion in China
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- A Noble Slave and an Imperial Cannibal
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- China's all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Rediscovering Beijing: The Ancient Observatory
- Goodbye Telegram / Hello Telegram
- A Museum of Nightmares in the Shadow of the Eiffel Tower
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Great Art Tributes from The Stormglass Protocol
- Possibly the Best Menu of All Time
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
Tag Archives: creepy
Dark and modern and ultra-creepy, the Hanyangling Museum of Xi'an is empty of tourists, but crammed with pits of naked, two-foot-tall men. It's something like an explosion in a doll factory, or a scene of marionette massacre. Their silk robes and wooden swords and wooden arms rotted away centuries ago, leaving them unarmed and armless, ...
AsiaObscura friend Dawn Xiana Moon (dawnxianamoon.com) sent over a pile more pix from the absolutely incredible statues and terrifying dioramas at Tiger Balm Park aka Har Paw Villa. See our original story here, or click on her pix below for full-sized versions....
It used to be a retreat. 90 years ago, the French spent 9 months building Bokor Hill Station up as the ultimate getaway: escape from the miserable heat and humidity of Phnom Penh. 900 laborers died while building it, but to the French all these ghosts were worth it. There was a ...
Okay, okay, I've been dwelling on the dark side of Taoism for too long. Sure, 19 Incredible Taoist Gods was an awesome series of sweet court officer pix, and Terrible Moments from a Taoist Temple was a collection of terrifying dioramas, but what about the lighter, cuter side of the religion? Is there one? ...
I don't know if I'd feel too comfortable getting close to these kids.... let alone allow my children to ride their backs...
A $2 tuktuk ride from the ancient city of Pingyao 平遥, in the deserts of Shanxi Province, there's a wonderful little temple called Shuanglin Temple (双林寺). The name translates to something like A Pair of Forests Temple. Cute. Inside, though, you'll find a strange sight. Walk to the back, and you'll come across the Goddess Temple, ...