Also from Andy Deemer…
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain’t So Lucky Fish)
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- The Illegal Mae Sot-Burma Border Crossing
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Steampunk, Eat Your Heart Out in the Basement of Beijing’s Printing Museum
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Antique Jews, Temple Jews, and even Plated Jews
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Lady Di’s Forgotten Career?
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike’s Mystery House
- Possibly the Best Menu of All Time
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- The Chinese Taxidermy Diaries: The First Day
- Forensic Science Museum, Bangkok
- A Lovely Moment from Ghungroo
- Keep the Evil Away For Chinese New Year
- Tongzhou’s "Kids with Measles" Ride
- Jesus and Mary in a Little Indian Boat
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Incredible Chinese Stamp Museum (first of two)
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Chinese Tunnel Warfare and Sexual Escapades, Together!
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- Adventures in Cockfighting
- No Panking!
- Another Mind-Blowingly Incredible Menu
- Inspector Black Cat: China’s Gore-Soaked Answer to Tom & Jerry
Tag Archives: Burma
It's Woo's birthday today. Whoohoo! She took this dazzling picture in Burma. It reminds me of the Diane Arbus girls from so many years ago... Wish her Happy Birthday at her (way un-updated) blog, TheWooLand Hotel.
Most people visit Ananda Phaya to see the massive gold Buddha. I'm not surprised: it's remarkable. But hidden in a side-alcove, propped up in the ceiling, I couldn't help noticing a series of paintings. Gloriously gore-filled paintings of demons wreaking havoc on mortals: boulders rolling over bloody victims, body parts dangling from coatracks, quartered corpses ...
I put this up on YouTube a little while back, but it's definitely worth putting up here: the illegal border crossing at Mae Sot.I shot this from the Thai side of the Thai-Burmese border. To get from Mae Sot to Myawaddy, you cross a bridge, pay a toll, and have your passport confiscated for ...
The Burmese palm reader warned me not to invest, or date women, until April. "You will be very unlucky," he said. And to stay in after 9pm, "unless you go out with a friend." After referencing a chart in a book, he decided selling cars would be a good career. "Do you have ...
This is incredible -- it's the illegal (but very open) border crossing between Myawaddy, Burma, and Mae Sot, Thailand. I shot this in the shadow of the official border bridge.