Also from Andy Deemer…
The Stormglass Novel
"Like a Bond adventure for kids... Undeniably entertaining." - Kirkus
"A brilliant twist on the classic theme... captivating." - ForeWord Clarion
"Action-packed and fast-paced... barrels along with a cheerful intensity and no shortage of middle-grade Bond-style adventure." - Publishers Weekly
Stormglass for the iPad
"Truly immersive. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"Pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- The Poem I Can't Find…
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Tongzhou's "Kids with Measles" Ride
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- Ready to Rumble
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- A Lovely Writeup of My Fowl Documentary
- Nazi Fashion in China
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- Modern Day Cavemen of Shanxi
- Chasing the Shaman in Mongolia
- No Panking!
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
Tag Archives: Burma
It's Woo's birthday today. Whoohoo! She took this dazzling picture in Burma. It reminds me of the Diane Arbus girls from so many years ago... Wish her Happy Birthday at her (way un-updated) blog, TheWooLand Hotel.
Most people visit Ananda Phaya to see the massive gold Buddha. I'm not surprised: it's remarkable. But hidden in a side-alcove, propped up in the ceiling, I couldn't help noticing a series of paintings. Gloriously gore-filled paintings of demons wreaking havoc on mortals: boulders rolling over bloody victims, body parts dangling from coatracks, quartered corpses ...
I put this up on YouTube a little while back, but it's definitely worth putting up here: the illegal border crossing at Mae Sot.I shot this from the Thai side of the Thai-Burmese border. To get from Mae Sot to Myawaddy, you cross a bridge, pay a toll, and have your passport confiscated for ...
The Burmese palm reader warned me not to invest, or date women, until April. "You will be very unlucky," he said. And to stay in after 9pm, "unless you go out with a friend." After referencing a chart in a book, he decided selling cars would be a good career. "Do you have ...
This is incredible -- it's the illegal (but very open) border crossing between Myawaddy, Burma, and Mae Sot, Thailand. I shot this in the shadow of the official border bridge.