Also from Andy Deemer…
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- Best Pix from Bangalore's First Ever ComicCon
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Nazi Fashion in China
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- China's all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Goodbye Telegram / Hello Telegram
Tag Archives: Burma
It's Woo's birthday today. Whoohoo! She took this dazzling picture in Burma. It reminds me of the Diane Arbus girls from so many years ago... Wish her Happy Birthday at her (way un-updated) blog, TheWooLand Hotel.
Most people visit Ananda Phaya to see the massive gold Buddha. I'm not surprised: it's remarkable. But hidden in a side-alcove, propped up in the ceiling, I couldn't help noticing a series of paintings. Gloriously gore-filled paintings of demons wreaking havoc on mortals: boulders rolling over bloody victims, body parts dangling from coatracks, quartered corpses ...
I put this up on YouTube a little while back, but it's definitely worth putting up here: the illegal border crossing at Mae Sot.I shot this from the Thai side of the Thai-Burmese border. To get from Mae Sot to Myawaddy, you cross a bridge, pay a toll, and have your passport confiscated for ...
The Burmese palm reader warned me not to invest, or date women, until April. "You will be very unlucky," he said. And to stay in after 9pm, "unless you go out with a friend." After referencing a chart in a book, he decided selling cars would be a good career. "Do you have ...
This is incredible -- it's the illegal (but very open) border crossing between Myawaddy, Burma, and Mae Sot, Thailand. I shot this in the shadow of the official border bridge.