- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Nazi Fashion in China
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The Eko Nugroho Flower Suit Lives On
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Those Creepy Japanese Videos, Finally Explained
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Philadelphia CheeseSteak Ice Cream
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- The Best Place to Eat and Poop, Together!
- Eko Nugroho, We Love You. So we made a costume to prove it.
- The New iOS Game From the Creators of AsiaObscura
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Red Onion-Flavored Red Wine
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Great New Indian Sidewalk Movie Posters
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- Gorgeously Gory Paintings in a Burmese Temple
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Plants vs Zombies, The Chinese Knockoff Toys
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
Tag Archives: art
Standing alone, so desperately alone, she waits outside the Odeon. Will he come? Oh, will he ever come? This lobby card for Rajendra Jain's Ghungroo, which I pulled ripped and bent from a stack at Balaji's Rare Antiques, reminds me of college. Although I didn't wear a sari.
You may have seen my post about the Red Restaurant, where dancers, singers and audiences recreate and celebrate the years of famine and starvation of the Great Leap Forward, and the torture and slaughter of the Cultural Revolution. Something I left out was this lady. While many were dressed in the red guard dress of ...
When Woo and I handed our tribute, Pyongyang Too, to graphic traveleur & comic master Guy Delisle, he seemed taken aback, confused, perplexed. "Thank you," he muttered, unsure of what he was even looking at. (Barbara Demick--author of the DPRK expose/awesomeromance Nothing to Envy--tried to buy it.) Clearly, he later had a chance to ...
Not many foreigners know about Sanmao. Here in China, though, he’s bigger than Disney. He's as prone to mischief as Bart Simpson. As endlessly honest as Richie Rich. And as dark as Charlie Brown. Darker. Even though Sanmao comics are as much for kids as they are adults, they're filled with death, ...
Okay, okay, I've been dwelling on the dark side of Taoism for too long. Sure, 19 Incredible Taoist Gods was an awesome series of sweet court officer pix, and Terrible Moments from a Taoist Temple was a collection of terrifying dioramas, but what about the lighter, cuter side of the religion? Is there one? ...
This Wednesday thru Friday, if you're in Beijing, you shouldn't miss the best of the "model operas," The Red Detachment of Women (红色娘子军). Playing for three nights only at Poly Plaza. It's called a model opera, but it's actually a ballet. The eight model operas were, during the height of the cultural ...
So the rapture left you behind, eh? Feeling cheated? Looking for a new deity? Try Taoism. These gods will kick your ass! Okay, maybe not all of them. Some, like this swarthy fellow, will just make sure when you're reborn, you'll get your deserved rank. Fail to accomplish enough good in this ...
A $2 tuktuk ride from the ancient city of Pingyao 平遥, in the deserts of Shanxi Province, there's a wonderful little temple called Shuanglin Temple (双林寺). The name translates to something like A Pair of Forests Temple. Cute. Inside, though, you'll find a strange sight. Walk to the back, and you'll come across the Goddess Temple, ...
The long, slow, dusty bus-ride cost 20 cents and took lord knows how long. But eventually it delivered us to the incredible Buddha Park. You see, 40 or so years ago, some loony Lao was hiking along a remote mountain trace, accidentally tripped, and fell into a hole. A deep hole. It was a lot like ...