Also from Andy Deemer…
The Stormglass Novel
"Like a Bond adventure for kids... Undeniably entertaining." - Kirkus
"A brilliant twist on the classic theme... captivating." - ForeWord Clarion
"Action-packed and fast-paced... barrels along with a cheerful intensity and no shortage of middle-grade Bond-style adventure." - Publishers Weekly
Stormglass for the iPad
"Truly immersive. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"Pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- The Poem I Can't Find…
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Tongzhou's "Kids with Measles" Ride
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- A Lovely Writeup of My Fowl Documentary
- Ready to Rumble
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Nazi Fashion in China
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- Modern Day Cavemen of Shanxi
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- No Panking!
- Chasing the Shaman in Mongolia
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- A Museum of Nightmares in the Shadow of the Eiffel Tower
Category Archives: Theme Parks
Shravanabelagola, India We were in this tiny village to see a 57-foot naked man, towering over everything, but he wasn't the only thing to catch my eye. Wheat-pasted to every surface -- crumbling walls and old wooden shop doors -- amazing Jumbo Circus posters! Now I'm not a huge circus fan. It's not that I have moral ...
Two-headed ladies! Ladies with tails! Big-headed ladies and snake-eating ladies and elephants, too! All this, for only 75 cents! Every year, for Chinese New Year, these tents appear across the country. This one was in rural Shanxi Province. Outside, an old lady counted her renminbi in the cold. ...
After the horrors of the tiger park, I neglected to mention the cute photo ops at the end of the tour. I mean, how awesome is this vertical line of tigerocity? After taking the picture, the employee wrenched the doped-out cub from our cuddle. He shoved it in a medium-sized tupperware storage container. He clipped on ...
In northern China there's a tiger park. Like so many things in China, it's nothing like you might expect. To start with, there's a menu at the gate. These aren't animals to take home and domesticate. They're fodder. Victims to be released on your tour. "Let's get a cow," I said. Michelle just ...
Just off the beaches of Chennai, covered in crow guano, trash and cow dung, lies the creepily gorgeous ruins of the Snowball amusement park. Paint was peeling off the walls. So was the plaster. Heck, even the walls were peeling off the walls. Nests cluttered the turrets, and empty windows peered into nothingness. I snapped ...
AsiaObscura friend Dawn Xiana Moon (dawnxianamoon.com) sent over a pile more pix from the absolutely incredible statues and terrifying dioramas at Tiger Balm Park aka Har Paw Villa. See our original story here, or click on her pix below for full-sized versions....
Singapore is bland. It's a high-priced row of shopping malls and fine eateries, with a few hawker markets thrown in. "It's soooooo boring," warned my hairdresser Miss P. But then you stumble on something like this. The Tiger Balm Gardens: The most disturbing theme park of all time. There's sex, violence, bear-maulings and scabies. ...
This past weekend, AO hosted our third BeijingObscura outing: a return to the magnificent Copyright Infringement Park, aka Fake Disneyland! Thanks to everyone who made it--it wouldn't have been the same without you, and your absolute awesomeness!!!
"Before coming here, I was tending cattle, and feeding pigs," Xiao Cao told me. "I never even knew how to dance." "And now, she's our leading dancer!" laughed Zhang Furong. Xiao Cao is a dancer. Zhang Furong is a singer. They're both under 4'3" tall. They live in, and perform at, The ...
When I was living in Kathmadu 20 years ago (yow!) this summer, I found this awesomely makeshift ferris wheel in a nearby theme park. A teenager would stand in the middle, and walk from one bar to the next, giving passengers a slow, staggered ride. Much more recently in southern Laos, down on the island Don Khon, ...
While we were busy on our own adventures, Chinese tourists flocked to Beijing's glorious World Park of their own accord. Some of them with entire camera crews in tow. Wedding photos, engagement photos, bff shots, they were costumed, posed, and so immaculately arranged. Here's a couple of our favorites! Even those who didn't ...
What is it with these half-built, then abandoned, Beijing amusement parks? We're old fans of The Romance Park of the Heart, which is filled with Swiss chalets, Siamese pagodas, and packs of wild dogs looking to tear your legs off. But we kept hearing about another one, in the opposite direction... Wonderland! Just ...
I don't know if I'd feel too comfortable getting close to these kids.... let alone allow my children to ride their backs...
I wasn't much impressed with the Beijing zoo. Quite the contrary... I was absolutely horrified. We left depressed. (See this story for a hint of the madness.) But on the upside, while we saw no live kangaroos, we did happen on these lovely grazing sculptures, made from pieces of found wood. It felt more like something ...
I was always sad Beijing didn't have a Disneyland for weekend fun, but it turns out we do. Well, a fake one. Not far from the center of town, at the Bajiao stop on subway Line 1, is the incredible Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park (北京石景山游乐园). Admission was about US$1.50, and what a ...
Beijing's filled with hidden secrets. Behind all those highrise tower blocks and overpasses, there is awesomeness to be found. And so it was that we heard rumors of a decrepit half-built theme park, somewhere way out west. The rumors came from a Chinese film student, who'd heard them from a friend, who'd ...
There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed (and probably unsafe) Shrek, Indiana Jones, and Batman rides, all surrounding a dusty Epcot Center. Admire the ...