- Kim Jong Il’s Remarkable Series of Books About Film
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese Pharmacies Sell Dried Sea Horses
- Why Chinese Drugstores Sell Deer Embryo and Penis
- Handmade Indian Movie Posters for Unlikely Hollywood Movies
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain’t So Lucky Fish)
- Murder, Incest, and Fratricide led to The Taj Mahal?
- This Strange Collector Has 1,000 Pairs of Shoes (and a Fetish for Foot Binding)
- This Chinese Temple is Filled with the Insanely Disturbing Sculptures
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- The Illegal Mae Sot-Burma Border Crossing
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- 19 Incredible Taoist Gods at Beijing’s Dongyue Temple
- Lady Di Used to Sell Gynecology Textbooks in Burma
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike’s Mystery House
- Beijing’s Supercool Steampunk Printing Museum
Also from Andy Deemer…
Category Archives: Strange Medicine
On a trip to Laos, recently, my parents found the perfect birthday present for Michelle: matching bottles of snake and scorpion booze. Recognizing the fact that my mom doesn't drink, this strange gift oozes with awesomeness. "Don't drink it all at once," my dad said. Unlike my mom, he's a fantastic tippler. The ...
I found this lovely flyer in our swank Pondicherry hotel room... Couldn't help remembering this place I happened on in Bangkok:
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop and wonder... And a few months ago, I decided to find out. Part 1: Eat snake for healthier skin Part 2: Eat ants to keep that lustrous hair Part 3: Deer penis will keep you strong Part 4: How to eat fried worms ...
Eating snake seems so sleazy, and eating ants is just gross. So much nicer than either of these? A young, innocent deer. That's one of the most common sights in a Chinese pharmacy, and when you see one stuffed, it represents longevity, happiness, luck and benevolence. And every single part of that benevolent deer is ...
I'm not sure what's more disturbing: this doctor's office interior decor sensibility, or the fact that I still let her dig around in my ear canal. (The camera is pretty exactly vertical.)
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop and wonder... why on earth would someone eat these crazy things? A few months ago, I decided to find out. Part 1: Eat snake for healthier skin Part 2: Eat ants to keep that lustrous hair Part 3: Deer penis will keep ...
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop. You've seen them -- the deer antlers and sea cucumbers sold in gift boxes; the dusty owls perched above the counter; the ants, sea horses, and snakes in cabinets. You can't help but wonder... at least, I can't... why ...
I adore TCM. But I don't know what to say about this bowl of "Pigeon Soup with Chinese Medicine" we ordered last night at Gongti's Xuxian Lou (许仙楼的《川弓海马乳鸽汤》). Yep, that's a sea horse floating on top. I found myself eating around it, taking bites of dark red meats, chewing down foul beans, and sipping up the ...
When she heard about my plan to get cupped, my old battleaxe of a language tutor was furious. "How can you make games of this? This is not a game! It's serious!" And serious, it is. But it's also pretty damn cool. Cupping draws bad blood to the surface, stimulating blood flow and qi. In ...