- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Nazi Fashion in China
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- The Poem I Can’t Find…
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Dr Shankar’s Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- Chisney & Koreansney: Local Disney Knockoffs
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- China’s first sci-fi movie: Death Ray on Coral Island (1980)
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Our Six Best China Stories!
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- 15 More Pictures from weirdoid Tiger Balm Park
- Mr. Chiizu: Great New Photobooth App
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
Category Archives: Somewhat Perverted
At Bangkok's Goddess Tuptim Shrine, there's something prickly going down. At this veritable penis park, there are whoppers, dongers, cocks and dicks, carved-off woodies and sleek shiny johnsons in stacks. Every last one is circumcised. Even the cocks of cocks. Known locally as the Chao Mae Tuptim, this overgrown shrine is tucked--ever so discretely--behind ...
You've seen those sexy collectable figurines around Asia, right? You know the ones... in Singapore malls, Beijing shopping centers, all over Japan? Nervous kids and creepy adults browsing the aisles... subtly saucy... Creepily paedo... GABOOMBAH with sweet pink hair and sword. Who buys these things? Who actually sets one of these ladies on their shelf, ...
Two small dogs are attacking a homeless man, while I'm nursing my lingering fever with sidewalk kebabs and a bottle of Yanjing beer. One of them bites at his ankle, and he hobbles away, cursing while diners beside me laugh, and the wind picks up again. I shield my face from the sand. This ...
Yang Shaorong lives in a small Shanghai apartment. He collects women's shoes. Tiny shoes. Shoes for bound feet. "That's horrible," said the publisher of my magazine, when I mentioned Yang the collector to him. "It's a disturbing part of Chinese history." I was confused. I didn't really know much about them, or why he was so upset. ...
If you've been wondering about the creepy Japanese videos I've been posting -- videos of girls staring blankly at the camera for a minute, then uttering a single short phrase -- I'm finally ready to offer an explanation. They're called "ミテルだけ" (pronounced "miteru dake") which means "Just Looking" or "Only Looking." I first heard about ...
The Ladies of Cosplay -- cute, obsessive, meticulous -- were a sight to behold. But the boys? Well, there were a few pretty awesome getups, like these.... And this chap was remarkable: But for the most part, it was "slap-a-cardboard-box-on-my-head" and "bunny-ears" affair. Sorry lads -- the lovely ladies of Korean cosplay took the prize this ...
A couple of days ago, I posted my favorite pictures of cute Korean cosplay girls -- but that's the light-hearted side of Korean cosplay. Flip the switch -- today it's time for the dark half. That's right: Korean Nazis! Now many of you are probably horrified. It's still too recent. But the Koreans love ...
While sex workers were planning to set themselves on fire across town (thanks, Comrade Joe), M and I were deep in Comic World at Seoul's SETEC Convention Center. Each and every one of these girls -- dressed like their favorite comic book characters and anime heroes -- was perfect. Ask them to pose for a photo, ...
Sorry for the silence. China got wise to the VPN, and issues had to be resolved. But we're back. Hopefully for a while, at least.While we pop the bottles of silkworm baijiu and seahorse bourbon, here's a photo from last night's dinner at Beijing's newest maid cafe. (Sure, Japan had sexy 19th century French maids ...
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop and wonder... why on earth would someone eat this madness? A few months ago, I decided to find out. This is part three in the "Strange TCM" series, which I started with "eating snake for healthier skin" and "eating ...
Wat Suwannaram, a 12th-century temple, is hidden on the far side of the river in Bangkok. It's remote -- no tourists, only two praying women in short skirts (they'd left their high heels outside.) The real draw here is the mouth-dropping murals, which tell the most bizarre and glorious tales. While we tiptoed ...
Fashion: Pink is everywhere, lace is everywhere, it's the Lolita look. But the real style de saison is dressing like a 19th Century French Maid. It's weird, but it's everywhere! Even white girls are buying in! And so, of course, a world of maid-staffed businesses have appeared. They have maid bars, maid cafes, even ...
Chiang Mai's an interesting town: a lot like Bangkok, but on a much smaller scale. Hundreds of coffee shops. Great boutiques. And old white men with young Thai girls. Absolutely everywhere. Old hippies with Thai women in their 40s, and adorable little hapa kids. Bald and bearded bikers with chubby teenagers. Backpackers with stunning beauties. ...
Deep in the bowels of the King's Hospital, if you look hard enough, you'll eventually find the stomach-churning absolutely wonderful Forensic Science Museum. I've a weak stomach, but the permanent exhibit here is unmissable. (Photos aren't allowed, so I apologize for this scarce and clumsy record. You'll clearly have to go, yourself.) ...
Siam Paragon Shopping Mall's elaborate (and incredible) Blythe exhibit offered up some leading costume designs for the creepy oh-so-slightly-pedophilic 1972 Kenner doll, which has captured the hearts and sewing skills of, well, at least a few dozen fans. From Wikipedia, "There is a network of hobbyists who customize the doll for resale and create ...