Also from Andy Deemer…
The AsiaObscura Book
The Stormglass Protocol
"Like a Bond adventure for kids... Undeniably entertaining." - Kirkus
"A brilliant twist on the classic theme... captivating." - ForeWord Clarion
"Action-packed and fast-paced... barrels along with a cheerful intensity and no shortage of middle-grade Bond-style adventure." - Publishers Weekly
Stormglass for the iPad
"Truly immersive. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"Pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- The Poem I Can't Find…
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- A Lovely Writeup of My Fowl Documentary
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Tongzhou's "Kids with Measles" Ride
- Modern Day Cavemen of Shanxi
- No Panking!
- Ready to Rumble
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Nazi Fashion in China
- Chasing the Shaman in Mongolia
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- A Museum of Nightmares in the Shadow of the Eiffel Tower
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
Category Archives: Somewhat Perverted
At Bangkok's Goddess Tuptim Shrine, there's something prickly going down. At this veritable penis park, there are whoppers, dongers, cocks and dicks, carved-off woodies and sleek shiny johnsons in stacks. Every last one is circumcised. Even the cocks of cocks. Known locally as the Chao Mae Tuptim, this overgrown shrine is tucked--ever so discretely--behind ...
You've seen those sexy collectable figurines around Asia, right? You know the ones... in Singapore malls, Beijing shopping centers, all over Japan? Nervous kids and creepy adults browsing the aisles... subtly saucy... Creepily paedo... GABOOMBAH with sweet pink hair and sword. Who buys these things? Who actually sets one of these ladies on their shelf, ...
Two small dogs are attacking a homeless man, while I'm nursing my lingering fever with sidewalk kebabs and a bottle of Yanjing beer. One of them bites at his ankle, and he hobbles away, cursing while diners beside me laugh, and the wind picks up again. I shield my face from the sand. This ...
If you've been wondering about the creepy Japanese videos I've been posting -- videos of girls staring blankly at the camera for a minute, then uttering a single short phrase -- I'm finally ready to offer an explanation. They're called "ミテルだけ" (pronounced "miteru dake") which means "Just Looking" or "Only Looking." I first heard about ...
The Ladies of Cosplay -- cute, obsessive, meticulous -- were a sight to behold. But the boys? Well, there were a few pretty awesome getups, like these.... And this chap was remarkable: But for the most part, it was "slap-a-cardboard-box-on-my-head" and "bunny-ears" affair. Sorry lads -- the lovely ladies of Korean cosplay took the prize this ...
While sex workers were planning to set themselves on fire across town (thanks, Comrade Joe), M and I were deep in Comic World at Seoul's SETEC Convention Center. Each and every one of these girls -- dressed like their favorite comic book characters and anime heroes -- was perfect. Ask them to pose for a photo, ...
Sorry for the silence. China got wise to the VPN, and issues had to be resolved. But we're back. Hopefully for a while, at least.While we pop the bottles of silkworm baijiu and seahorse bourbon, here's a photo from last night's dinner at Beijing's newest maid cafe. (Sure, Japan had sexy 19th century French maids ...
Every time I pass by one of those classic Chinese pharmacies, I can't help but stop and wonder... why on earth would someone eat this madness? A few months ago, I decided to find out. Part 1: Eat snake for healthier skin Part 2: Eat ants to keep that lustrous hair Part 3: Deer penis will keep you ...
Wat Suwannaram, a 12th-century temple, is hidden on the far side of the river in Bangkok. It's remote -- no tourists, only two praying women in short skirts (they'd left their high heels outside.) The real draw here is the mouth-dropping murals, which tell the most bizarre and glorious tales. While we tiptoed ...
Fashion: Pink is everywhere, lace is everywhere, it's the Lolita look. But the real style de saison is dressing like a 19th Century French Maid. It's weird, but it's everywhere! Even white girls are buying in! And so, of course, a world of maid-staffed businesses have appeared. They have maid bars, maid cafes, even ...
Chiang Mai's an interesting town: a lot like Bangkok, but on a much smaller scale. Hundreds of coffee shops. Great boutiques. And old white men with young Thai girls. Absolutely everywhere. Old hippies with Thai women in their 40s, and adorable little hapa kids. Bald and bearded bikers with chubby teenagers. Backpackers with stunning beauties. ...
Siam Paragon Shopping Mall's elaborate (and incredible) Blythe exhibit offered up some leading costume designs for the creepy oh-so-slightly-pedophilic 1972 Kenner doll, which has captured the hearts and sewing skills of, well, at least a few dozen fans. From Wikipedia, "There is a network of hobbyists who customize the doll for resale and create ...