- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Nazi Fashion in China
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- The Poem I Can’t Find…
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Dr Shankar’s Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- Chisney & Koreansney: Local Disney Knockoffs
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- China’s first sci-fi movie: Death Ray on Coral Island (1980)
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Our Six Best China Stories!
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- 15 More Pictures from weirdoid Tiger Balm Park
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
- The Great Chinese Chip Taste-Off
Category Archives: AO Events
UPDATE: Event in the past. Sorry if you missed it! Was great! Do sign up for the PKB Facebook group though! If you're in Bangalore, I hope you can come to Jaaga on Friday night Feb 15th for a night of glorious trash. I'll be there talking about Trash Film, but the whole line-up ...
"I'll have the AIDS soup," I said. It wasn't officially called AIDS soup. Not now. Shortly after I'd blogged about their deviant menus, the restaurant had crossed out every appearance of the word "AIDS" with a sharpie. Now it was simply "Strong Tibetan Sheep Placenta Nourishing Soup [XXXX]." Still a mouthful. But I'd had a few beers, ...
Sure, every restaurant may have a maggot-filled dish called Insect Story, and what's a Chinese restaurant without a Jacopetti-inspired Monkey Head offering (even if it is just a bowl of fried mushrooms). I don't know, however, of a single other Beijing restaurant that boasts acquired immune deficiency syndrome sheep placenta soup. That's right: AIDS soup, the most ...
This past weekend, AO hosted our third BeijingObscura outing: a return to the magnificent Copyright Infringement Park, aka Fake Disneyland! Thanks to everyone who made it--it wouldn't have been the same without you, and your absolute awesomeness!!!
Update: it's gorgeous out, so get your suntan lotion, your sunglasses, and camera, and prepare for an amazing day! There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed ...
Thanks to the kind folks at City Weekend Beijing, for their lovely interview with TheWooLandHotel about AO! See below for the full interview... Or you can read the interview on City Weekend's website.
Oh, what a day! Perfect skies, plastic palm trees with rubber coconuts, terrifyingly rusty water tubes, toxic water, and incredible meat on a stick. All in the flight path of Beijing International Airport's, just a few miles away. (Vroooooom!) Only one person actually howled, "That was the best day of my life," but ...
Rickety rollercoasters, useless tour guides, and rather offputting cross dressers. Everything you could want in a Chinese theme park! What an absolutely glorious & outlandish day! Thanks to everyone who made it to AsiaObscura's inaugural event, A Trip to Beijing World Park! 世界公园, where Fengtai brings you the world! (A few pix nicked from A cuppa and ...
When the summer hits Beijing, there's nothing like the feel of the sand, waves lapping at your feet, sweet dolphins hopping at the horizon. Yep -- this summer, it's time once again to visit Crab Island, the best beach in Beijing! “But Beijing’s in the middle of the desert,” I hear you cry. "There are no ...
Saturday, May 7th at 1pmWhy go all the way to Badaling when the Great Wall is right here in Beijing? Join AsiaObscura.com, as we spend a day exploring the eccentricities of Beijing World Park (北京世界公园), the city's quirkiest amusement park. Experience the skyscrapers of Manhattan, the pyramids of Cairo, and even the Taj Mahal of ...
In the last few weeks, we've brought you 1950s girl basketball melodramas, 1940s street urchin black comedies, and saucy 1920s road worker flicks. This week, though, we've got something entirely different: a fantastic pre-liberation pre-code comedy!"SCENES OF CITY LIFE" (都市风光)FREE! This Tuesday, Jan 25th at 7pm7 Dongmianhua Hutong, Beijing江湖酒吧, 北京交道口南大街东棉花胡同7号6401-4611 / ...
This Tuesday night is gonna be an exciting one at Jianghu -- join us (The World of Chinese, that is!) as we welcome freezing January with Woman Basketball Player No. 5 (女篮五号), a fantastically warming 1957 sports adventure, directed by the legendary Xie Jin. It's got girls, rivalry, action, basketball, crushes, and even accordion singalongs. ...
Chinese movie night at Jianghu Jiuba continues this week with last year's incredible Cow (斗牛, Dou Niu), an hilarious black comedy set in the mountains of Shandong. It's the simple and possibly true story of a poor peasant boy, a snarky dead girl, and a monstrously large overseas cow. "Brilliant!... A tour-de-force..." VarietyWinner, Best Actor ...
China, 1934. There's no work to be had. No food to be eaten. Where else to go, but the BIG ROAD?This exhilaratingly awesome Chinese classic -- a silent musical! the 30th greatest Chinese film ever made! -- has gone unseen for far too long. We couldn't find subtitles that made sense, so we wrote new ...
Two weeks ago, we showed "The Winter of Sanmao" to a packed house at Jianghu Jiuba. It was incredible. I got a little tipsy, and CCTV published three hard-hitting stories. ("Laughter was waged," they wrote. "Outside, wind just started to moan. Inside, it was common to hear people laughing!" Oh, and my introduction to the ...
There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed (and probably unsafe) Shrek, Indiana Jones, and Batman rides, all surrounding a dusty Epcot Center. Admire the ...