Also from Andy Deemer…
The Stormglass Novel
Stormglass for the iPad
"A truly immersive experience, The Stormglass Protocol is a room escape puzzle game like no other. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"The Stormglass Protocol... pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- The Poem I Can't Find…
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- A Lovely Writeup of My Fowl Documentary
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Ready to Rumble
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- A Noble Slave and an Imperial Cannibal
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Goodbye Telegram / Hello Telegram
- Rediscovering Beijing: The Ancient Observatory
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- Possibly the Best Menu of All Time
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- China's all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Nazi Fashion in China
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- A Museum of Nightmares in the Shadow of the Eiffel Tower
- Be an Old Man, Have a Young Wife, in Laos
- Great Art Tributes from The Stormglass Protocol
Category Archives: Events
UPDATE: Event in the past. Sorry if you missed it! Was great! Do sign up for the PKB Facebook group though! If you're in Bangalore, I hope you can come to Jaaga on Friday night Feb 15th for a night of glorious trash. I'll be there talking about Trash Film, but the whole line-up ...
"I'll have the AIDS soup," I said. It wasn't officially called AIDS soup. Not now. Shortly after I'd blogged about their deviant menus, the restaurant had crossed out every appearance of the word "AIDS" with a sharpie. Now it was simply "Strong Tibetan Sheep Placenta Nourishing Soup [XXXX]." Still a mouthful. But I'd had a few beers, ...
Sure, every restaurant may have a maggot-filled dish called Insect Story, and what's a Chinese restaurant without a Jacopetti-inspired Monkey Head offering (even if it is just a bowl of fried mushrooms). I don't know, however, of a single other Beijing restaurant that boasts acquired immune deficiency syndrome sheep placenta soup. That's right: AIDS soup, the most ...
This past weekend, AO hosted our third BeijingObscura outing: a return to the magnificent Copyright Infringement Park, aka Fake Disneyland! Thanks to everyone who made it--it wouldn't have been the same without you, and your absolute awesomeness!!!
Update: it's gorgeous out, so get your suntan lotion, your sunglasses, and camera, and prepare for an amazing day! There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed ...
Thanks to the kind folks at City Weekend Beijing, for their lovely interview with TheWooLandHotel about AO! See below for the full interview... Or you can read the interview on City Weekend's website.
Oh, what a day! Perfect skies, plastic palm trees with rubber coconuts, terrifyingly rusty water tubes, toxic water, and incredible meat on a stick. All in the flight path of Beijing International Airport's, just a few miles away. (Vroooooom!) Only one person actually howled, "That was the best day of my life," but ...
Rickety rollercoasters, useless tour guides, and rather offputting cross dressers. Everything you could want in a Chinese theme park! What an absolutely glorious & outlandish day! Thanks to everyone who made it to AsiaObscura's inaugural event, A Trip to Beijing World Park! 世界公园, where Fengtai brings you the world! (A few pix nicked from A cuppa and ...
When the summer hits Beijing, there's nothing like the feel of the sand, waves lapping at your feet, sweet dolphins hopping at the horizon. Yep -- this summer, it's time once again to visit Crab Island, the best beach in Beijing! “But Beijing’s in the middle of the desert,” I hear you cry. "There are no ...
Saturday, May 7th at 1pmWhy go all the way to Badaling when the Great Wall is right here in Beijing? Join AsiaObscura.com, as we spend a day exploring the eccentricities of Beijing World Park (北京世界公园), the city's quirkiest amusement park. Experience the skyscrapers of Manhattan, the pyramids of Cairo, and even the Taj Mahal of ...
In the last few weeks, we've brought you 1950s girl basketball melodramas, 1940s street urchin black comedies, and saucy 1920s road worker flicks. This week, though, we've got something entirely different: a fantastic pre-liberation pre-code comedy!"SCENES OF CITY LIFE" (都市风光)FREE! This Tuesday, Jan 25th at 7pm7 Dongmianhua Hutong, Beijing江湖酒吧, 北京交道口南大街东棉花胡同7号6401-4611 / ...
This Tuesday night is gonna be an exciting one at Jianghu -- join us (The World of Chinese, that is!) as we welcome freezing January with Woman Basketball Player No. 5 (女篮五号), a fantastically warming 1957 sports adventure, directed by the legendary Xie Jin. It's got girls, rivalry, action, basketball, crushes, and even accordion singalongs. ...
Chinese movie night at Jianghu Jiuba continues this week with last year's incredible Cow (斗牛, Dou Niu), an hilarious black comedy set in the mountains of Shandong. It's the simple and possibly true story of a poor peasant boy, a snarky dead girl, and a monstrously large overseas cow. "Brilliant!... A tour-de-force..." VarietyWinner, Best Actor ...
Two weeks ago, we showed "The Winter of Sanmao" to a packed house at Jianghu Jiuba. It was incredible. I got a little tipsy, and CCTV published three hard-hitting stories. ("Laughter was waged," they wrote. "Outside, wind just started to moan. Inside, it was common to hear people laughing!" Oh, and my introduction to the ...
There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed (and probably unsafe) Shrek, Indiana Jones, and Batman rides, all surrounding a dusty Epcot Center. Admire the ...