Also from Andy Deemer…
The AsiaObscura Book
"Dancing dwarfs, Nazi cosplay, and children feeding tigers... phenomenal!" - Complex.com
The Stormglass Protocol
"A Bond adventure for kids... Undeniably entertaining." - Kirkus
"A brilliant twist on the classic theme... captivating." - ForeWord Clarion
"Action-packed and fast-paced... barrels along with a cheerful intensity and no shortage of middle-grade Bond-style adventure." - Publishers Weekly
Stormglass for the iPad
"Truly immersive. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"Pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Be an Old Man, Have a Young Wife, in Laos
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Stepping on Human Skulls in Bangalore's Black Magic Graveyard
- No Panking!
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- A Museum of Nightmares in the Shadow of the Eiffel Tower
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Celebrating Easter in China…
- Wonderfully Crumbling Old Cardboard Castle
- Fiendishly Fun Photo Ops at World Park
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Chinese Giant Salamander – a tasty treat!
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- The Ossuaries of Paris…
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Keep the Evil Away For Chinese New Year
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- A Lovely Moment from Ghungroo
- Lady Di's Forgotten Career?
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- M. Deyrolle's Lovely Collection of Taxidermy
- This Has To Be The Worst Massage Of All Time
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- Siamese fighting fish
- Coolest King Photos, Ever
Category Archives: Events
"I'll have the AIDS soup," I said. It wasn't officially called AIDS soup. Not now. Shortly after I'd blogged about their deviant menus, the restaurant had crossed out every appearance of the word "AIDS" with a sharpie. Now it was simply "Strong Tibetan Sheep Placenta Nourishing Soup [XXXX]." Still a mouthful. But I'd had a few beers, ...
Sure, every restaurant may have a maggot-filled dish called Insect Story, and what's a Chinese restaurant without a Jacopetti-inspired Monkey Head offering (even if it is just a bowl of fried mushrooms). I don't know, however, of a single other Beijing restaurant that boasts acquired immune deficiency syndrome sheep placenta soup. That's right: AIDS soup, the most ...
This past weekend, AO hosted our third BeijingObscura outing: a return to the magnificent Copyright Infringement Park, aka Fake Disneyland! Thanks to everyone who made it--it wouldn't have been the same without you, and your absolute awesomeness!!!
Update: it's gorgeous out, so get your suntan lotion, your sunglasses, and camera, and prepare for an amazing day! There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed ...
Thanks to the kind folks at City Weekend Beijing, for their lovely interview with TheWooLandHotel about AO! See below for the full interview... Or you can read the interview on City Weekend's website.
Oh, what a day! Perfect skies, plastic palm trees with rubber coconuts, terrifyingly rusty water tubes, toxic water, and incredible meat on a stick. All in the flight path of Beijing International Airport's, just a few miles away. (Vroooooom!) Only one person actually howled, "That was the best day of my life," but ...
Rickety rollercoasters, useless tour guides, and rather offputting cross dressers. Everything you could want in a Chinese theme park! What an absolutely glorious & outlandish day! Thanks to everyone who made it to AsiaObscura's inaugural event, A Trip to Beijing World Park! 世界公园, where Fengtai brings you the world! (A few pix nicked from A cuppa and ...
When the summer hits Beijing, there's nothing like the feel of the sand, waves lapping at your feet, sweet dolphins hopping at the horizon. Yep -- this summer, it's time once again to visit Crab Island, the best beach in Beijing! “But Beijing’s in the middle of the desert,” I hear you cry. "There are no ...
Saturday, May 7th at 1pmWhy go all the way to Badaling when the Great Wall is right here in Beijing? Join AsiaObscura.com, as we spend a day exploring the eccentricities of Beijing World Park (北京世界公园), the city's quirkiest amusement park. Experience the skyscrapers of Manhattan, the pyramids of Cairo, and even the Taj Mahal of ...
In the last few weeks, we've brought you 1950s girl basketball melodramas, 1940s street urchin black comedies, and saucy 1920s road worker flicks. This week, though, we've got something entirely different: a fantastic pre-liberation pre-code comedy!"SCENES OF CITY LIFE" (都市风光)FREE! This Tuesday, Jan 25th at 7pm7 Dongmianhua Hutong, Beijing江湖酒吧, 北京交道口南大街东棉花胡同7号6401-4611 / ...
This Tuesday night is gonna be an exciting one at Jianghu -- join us (The World of Chinese, that is!) as we welcome freezing January with Woman Basketball Player No. 5 (女篮五号), a fantastically warming 1957 sports adventure, directed by the legendary Xie Jin. It's got girls, rivalry, action, basketball, crushes, and even accordion singalongs. ...
Chinese movie night at Jianghu Jiuba continues this week with last year's incredible Cow (斗牛, Dou Niu), an hilarious black comedy set in the mountains of Shandong. It's the simple and possibly true story of a poor peasant boy, a snarky dead girl, and a monstrously large overseas cow. "Brilliant!... A tour-de-force..." VarietyWinner, Best Actor ...
Two weeks ago, we showed "The Winter of Sanmao" to a packed house at Jianghu Jiuba. It was incredible. I got a little tipsy, and CCTV published three hard-hitting stories. ("Laughter was waged," they wrote. "Outside, wind just started to moan. Inside, it was common to hear people laughing!" Oh, and my introduction to the ...
There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed (and probably unsafe) Shrek, Indiana Jones, and Batman rides, all surrounding a dusty Epcot Center. Admire the ...