- Kim Jong Il’s Remarkable Series of Books About Film
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese Pharmacies Sell Dried Sea Horses
- Why Chinese Drugstores Sell Deer Embryo and Penis
- Handmade Indian Movie Posters for Unlikely Hollywood Movies
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain’t So Lucky Fish)
- Murder, Incest, and Fratricide led to The Taj Mahal?
- This Strange Collector Has 1,000 Pairs of Shoes (and a Fetish for Foot Binding)
- This Chinese Temple is Filled with the Insanely Disturbing Sculptures
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- The Illegal Mae Sot-Burma Border Crossing
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- 19 Incredible Taoist Gods at Beijing’s Dongyue Temple
- Lady Di Used to Sell Gynecology Textbooks in Burma
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike’s Mystery House
- Beijing’s Supercool Steampunk Printing Museum
Also from Andy Deemer…
Category Archives: Copyright Carelessness
Okay, they're not really potato chips. They're about as far from that as you get -- offerings like papad chivda, soya chips, sev puri, and mari banana wafers. They're tasty. And the bags are all stamped with Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp. I loved them so much I bought every kind the supermarket sold. I think this ...
Why buy generic no-name Beijing loafery when you can pay just a few extra kuai for the sweet wheat of Wikipedia-brand bread? Oops, sorry, Wekipedia-brand. That's right! The Free Encyclowheatia That Anyone Can Edit! Now all that's left to do is pair it with some McDonald's Eggs for a copyright infringing Egg in the ...
A few weeks ago I found these gorgeous McEggs at the local supermarket... McAwesome! But Jade Garden Jewelry has also jumped on the McBandwagon. Clearly, there's a new Beijing logo-piracy McMovement.
Old Galle may be protected as a UNESCO World Heritage site, but that hasn't stopped fast food chains from sprawling around the town. Oh, don't worry, they all appear to be Sri Lankan, but they are strangely familiar. Dairy King Cafe, Hot Pack, Indian Hut, Pizza Hot Pack, and so many more...
We already have a Beijing ChineDisneyland, and the abandoned WonderDisneyLand. But what about these Disney knockoffs... Government-published Travel in Chinese language books... Papa Daniel Koreatalian diners.... Yes Madam (It's My Choice) Body Lotion, at every local pharmacy.... My favorite, though, is this Disney toy I found in with other toys at the market down the ...
You may have seen my post about the Red Restaurant, where dancers, singers and audiences recreate and celebrate the years of famine and starvation of the Great Leap Forward, and the torture and slaughter of the Cultural Revolution. Something I left out was this lady. While many were dressed in the red guard dress of ...
I found a flyer on the subway, for Beijing's "岭郡ONE: Tuscany Romantic life" apartment complex, units from 430 sq-ft. Clever... looked like an ipad. WAITASECOND!!! Is that Ethan O'Brien or James Cheung's GameSpot logo, promoting "No limit loans" (不限贷)??? Oh yeah, it is. Nice work, Chinese bootleggers! Reminds me of that sweet Wii-knockoff "Wü Music Kit" ...
Zombies -- along with time-travel -- are banned in China. (So don't watch my Beijing zombie music video, Zombie Girl. Or buy a bootleg copy of my movie, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead.) But that doesn't stop Plants vs Zombies from becoming China's favorite videogame. You hear the theme song ...
I was always sad Beijing didn't have a Disneyland for weekend fun, but it turns out we do. Well, a fake one. Not far from the center of town, at the Bajiao stop on subway Line 1, is the incredible Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park (北京石景山游乐园). Admission was about US$1.50, and what a ...
There's no reason to travel all the way to Hong Kong, when Beijing has it's own Disneyland right here! Sure, it's fake, and weird, and... crumbling, but it couldn't be more fun! Discover the unlicensed (and probably unsafe) Shrek, Indiana Jones, and Batman rides, all surrounding a dusty Epcot Center. Admire the ...