Also from Andy Deemer…
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- Best Pix from Bangalore's First Ever ComicCon
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Nazi Fashion in China
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
Category Archives: Excellent Products
That's right! From the producer of Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, the director of Poultry in Motion: Truth is Stranger than Chicken, and the writer of The Stormglass Protocol for the iPad comes the blog compilation of the decade! Featuring unseen photos, original stories, deranged dishes, new adventures and all your favorite AsiaObscura moments, ...
I love this hand-painted ad for Bhadra Tarps. You know they're tough if even this mustached hunk can't rip them! (Then compare to their rather lackluster website. Oh....)
Hannah took us deep into the bowels of City Market, a mad maze of alleyways crammed tight with shops stacked atop one another. Porters and motorbikes race past, honking endlessly and piled unrealistically high with samples. Cows tread through it all, slathered in shit and chomping slowly on four-foot piles of trash. ...
Not sure what I loved most about this banner we passed in a Bangalore market: the complete unexpectedness of it, or the incredibly bad photoshopping of two different women. Anyhow, I'm going for the hipster style.
Two different directions. (I think these were sent to me by the awesome David & Michelle F, who we met in a tepid Pyongyang BBQ joint.)
China just looooooves its smokes. Convenience stores sell them, grocery stores, supermarkets -- and yet STILL you'll still find dedicated tobacco stores on just about every corner. Notice how Little Miss Flowers & Fruits squeezes into a tiny nook, while Mr Brand Name Cigarettes sprawls out double-wide. Yep, there's money in smokes! Need bridal makeup? Forget ...
These Sri Lankan puppets, a tradition of the coastal village of Ambalangoda, embarrassingly look more like my Kentucky and Carolina kin than anything else. At about five bucks each, we couldn't resist walking away with a bagful. But my favorite was a gorgeous four-foot-tall devil puppet. It was too big for our bag, but ...
I can't imagine a stranger way to advertise a hot dog, really. As seen in Ulan Bator, the Mongolian capital.
Zombies -- along with time-travel -- are banned in China. (So don't watch my Beijing zombie music video, Zombie Girl. Or buy a bootleg copy of my movie, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead.) But that doesn't stop Plants vs Zombies from becoming China's favorite videogame. You hear the theme song ...