Also from Andy Deemer…
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain’t So Lucky Fish)
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Fried Worms
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- The Illegal Mae Sot-Burma Border Crossing
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Steampunk, Eat Your Heart Out in the Basement of Beijing’s Printing Museum
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Antique Jews, Temple Jews, and even Plated Jews
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Lady Di’s Forgotten Career?
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike’s Mystery House
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Possibly the Best Menu of All Time
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- Forensic Science Museum, Bangkok
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- The Chinese Taxidermy Diaries: The First Day
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- Tongzhou’s "Kids with Measles" Ride
- A Lovely Moment from Ghungroo
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- Keep the Evil Away For Chinese New Year
- Jesus and Mary in a Little Indian Boat
- Incredible Chinese Stamp Museum (first of two)
- Inspector Black Cat: China’s Gore-Soaked Answer to Tom & Jerry
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- Chinese Tunnel Warfare and Sexual Escapades, Together!
- Adventures in Cockfighting
- Insanely Creepy Cambodian Scarecrows
- Another Mind-Blowingly Incredible Menu
Author Archives: The WooLand Hotel
Waldo in China sketch from Deep Thinkings I'm having a conversation (albeit one-sided) with the neighbor about a leak in our ceiling, with the cab driver about the reasons for the traffic, to the butcher about the right cut of meat. In every case, I nod my head, "uh-huh, uh-huh," hoping that I will glean something ...
A little canine with your coffee? Feline with your free time? Find it here at the Dog and Cat Cafes of South Korea’s capital! If you’re feeling that mid-afternoon slump, there are several branches of pet cafes scattered throughout the city where you can un-dull those 4pm doldrums and set your dander allergies on fire. Buy ...
With Melaka being a culture mix of Indian, Malay, Chinese, Dutch and Portuguese, amongst others, local customs are very much honored and preserved. Buddhists, keeping up with modern times, offer their ancestors the very best in the afterlife. Apart from the expected cash to spend and incense to purify and keep them from ...
If you're having any troubles with your eyes, head to the cliff-side Temple of the Eyesight Buddha on Mianshan Mountain to make your prostrations. After all, this Buddha would know - he has 5 eyes himself. But watch out, although he can cure diseases of the eyes, he is able to "perceive all things."
We all knew the DPRK would be fastidious in their care for appearances. Their garish carpets and upholstery harked back to a bygone time (the 60s? even then it probably wasn't in fashion). What I didn't expect was how much they liked their symmetry. Also, although these set ups had their charm and air of welcome, ...
The Chinese know how to lounge. You can often see them hanging about, as documented in www.sleepingchinese.com. Their things are also pretty good at hanging around...