Also from Andy Deemer…
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Film 101, with Guest Professor Kim Jong Il
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
- Nazi Fashion in China
- Best Pix from Bangalore's First Ever ComicCon
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- Dr Shankar's Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- The Insane Monkey Bar in Tokyo
- China's all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- Goodbye Telegram / Hello Telegram
Author Archives: The WooLand Hotel
Waldo in China sketch from Deep Thinkings I'm having a conversation (albeit one-sided) with the neighbor about a leak in our ceiling, with the cab driver about the reasons for the traffic, to the butcher about the right cut of meat. In every case, I nod my head, "uh-huh, uh-huh," hoping that I will glean something ...
A little canine with your coffee? Feline with your free time? Find it here at the Dog and Cat Cafes of South Korea’s capital! If you’re feeling that mid-afternoon slump, there are several branches of pet cafes scattered throughout the city where you can un-dull those 4pm doldrums and set your dander allergies on fire. Buy ...
With Melaka being a culture mix of Indian, Malay, Chinese, Dutch and Portuguese, amongst others, local customs are very much honored and preserved. Buddhists, keeping up with modern times, offer their ancestors the very best in the afterlife. Apart from the expected cash to spend and incense to purify and keep them from ...
If you're having any troubles with your eyes, head to the cliff-side Temple of the Eyesight Buddha on Mianshan Mountain to make your prostrations. After all, this Buddha would know - he has 5 eyes himself. But watch out, although he can cure diseases of the eyes, he is able to "perceive all things."
We all knew the DPRK would be fastidious in their care for appearances. Their garish carpets and upholstery harked back to a bygone time (the 60s? even then it probably wasn't in fashion). What I didn't expect was how much they liked their symmetry. Also, although these set ups had their charm and air of welcome, ...
The Chinese know how to lounge. You can often see them hanging about, as documented in www.sleepingchinese.com. Their things are also pretty good at hanging around...