- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Learn How to Speak North Korean
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- The 38th Reich: Korean Nazi Cosplay
- Beijing’s incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- Beijing’s Single Most Horrific Meal
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- China’s all-time favorite (and all-time darkest?) comic book: Sanmao
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- Nazi Fashion in China
- India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Outrageously Cute Korean Cosplay: The 21 Favorites
- What the Fortune Teller Told Me (Hong Kong)
- The Poem I Can’t Find…
- The Sick Collector and His 1000 Pairs of Shoes
- Small Children Feeding Live Animals to Tigers in a Chinese Zoo
- Beijing’s Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- Whoring in Chiang Mai
- American Imperialist Bastards in a North Korean Comic Book
- A Postcard from Erenhot
- Our Six Best China Stories!
- Dr Shankar’s Wonderful Collection of Brains and Other Medical Obscura
- Relive the Cultural Revolution (aka The Weirdest Dinner Theater in Beijing)
- Chisney & Koreansney: Local Disney Knockoffs
- Another Abandoned Beijing Amusement Park
- Porn, Rats, and Antique Projectors at Sri Lanka’s Classic Cinemas
- North Korea frightening customs declarations form
- The Disastrous Fall of Sanmao
- China’s first sci-fi movie: Death Ray on Coral Island (1980)
- The Taj Mahal… Murder, Incest, and Fratricide
- Awesomely Steampunk Portable Corn Roaster
- One Ghostly Cambodian Ruin
- Medicinal Sea Horse Soup
- Antilia: The Most Gratuitous House in Mumbai
- On Horse Meat Sashimi
- Deranged Clown Cream Biscuits
- Sweet gruesome statue asking for donations
- Pyongyang Too: A Tribute to Guy Delisle
- 15 More Pictures from weirdoid Tiger Balm Park
- Mr. Chiizu: Great New Photobooth App
- A Huge Pile of Gorgeous Old Thai Movie Posters
Author Archives: The WooLand Hotel
Waldo in China sketch from Deep Thinkings I'm having a conversation (albeit one-sided) with the neighbor about a leak in our ceiling, with the cab driver about the reasons for the traffic, to the butcher about the right cut of meat. In every case, I nod my head, "uh-huh, uh-huh," hoping that I will glean something ...
A little canine with your coffee? Feline with your free time? Find it here at the Dog and Cat Cafes of South Korea’s capital! If you’re feeling that mid-afternoon slump, there are several branches of pet cafes scattered throughout the city where you can un-dull those 4pm doldrums and set your dander allergies on fire. Buy ...
With Melaka being a culture mix of Indian, Malay, Chinese, Dutch and Portuguese, amongst others, local customs are very much honored and preserved. Buddhists, keeping up with modern times, offer their ancestors the very best in the afterlife. Apart from the expected cash to spend and incense to purify and keep them from ...
If you're having any troubles with your eyes, head to the cliff-side Temple of the Eyesight Buddha on Mianshan Mountain to make your prostrations. After all, this Buddha would know - he has 5 eyes himself. But watch out, although he can cure diseases of the eyes, he is able to "perceive all things."
We all knew the DPRK would be fastidious in their care for appearances. Their garish carpets and upholstery harked back to a bygone time (the 60s? even then it probably wasn't in fashion). What I didn't expect was how much they liked their symmetry. Also, although these set ups had their charm and air of welcome, ...