Also from Andy Deemer…
The Stormglass Novel
"Like a Bond adventure for kids... Undeniably entertaining." - Kirkus
"A brilliant twist on the classic theme... captivating." - ForeWord Clarion
"Action-packed and fast-paced... barrels along with a cheerful intensity and no shortage of middle-grade Bond-style adventure." - Publishers Weekly
Stormglass for the iPad
"Truly immersive. ★★★★½" - 148Apps.com
"Rich graphics, an immersive storyline, and puzzles that will have you turned upside down." - iDownloadBlog.com
"Pulls the genre out of its stationary roots." - JayIsGames.com
"Perfect" - The NY Times
"Terrific" - Entertainment Weekly
- The Quirk of Bangalore Palace
- 21 Amazing Bangalore Breakfast Dishes
- A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters
- Another Little Bangalore Boat Church
- Why Chinese People Eat Ants
- Why Chinese People Eat Sea Horse
- Why Chinese People Eat Deer Penis
- India's Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters
- Collapsing Caves, Dead Spelunkers, Corpse Robbery, and Big Mike's Mystery House
- All the Fortunes on Hong Kong's Temple Street
- Amazing Old Bollywood Poster Shops
- Why Chinese People Eat Snake as Medicine
- The Cockiest Shrine in Bangkok
- Beijing's Dongyue Temple and Their 19 Incredible Taoist Gods
- Sifting Through Arthur C. Clarke's DVD Collection in Colombo
- This Hindu God has 1,000 Vaginas!
- North Korean traffic lights… um… robot ladies.
- The Creepiest Amusement Park of All Time?
- Classic Chinese Torture Methods (and their cute names)
- 18 Terrible Moments from a Taoist Hell
- Beijing's incredible (and completely fake) Disneyland
- The Poem I Can't Find…
- Outsider Art Kangaroos at the Beijing Zoo
- Tongzhou's "Kids with Measles" Ride
- Lucky Fruit (and Ain't So Lucky Fish)
- A Lovely Writeup of My Fowl Documentary
- Ready to Rumble
- Prosthetic Noses, Red Wigs, and Whiteface… American Characters in Chinese Films
- The Cutest Slippers of All Time
- Nazi Fashion in China
- The Romance Park of the Heart – an abandoned Beijing theme park
- A Tiny Roadside Village, Made From Quartz
- Chasing the Shaman in Mongolia
- Modern Day Cavemen of Shanxi
- No Panking!
- Castration Classes at the Beijing Eunuch Culture Exhibition Hall
- About Andy Deemer & AsiaObscura
- A Huge New Horde of Hand-drawn Indian Movie Posters
- Beijing's Single Most Horrific Meal
- Hello Kitty & Cuppuccino!
Author Archives: The WooLand Hotel
Waldo in China sketch from Deep Thinkings I'm having a conversation (albeit one-sided) with the neighbor about a leak in our ceiling, with the cab driver about the reasons for the traffic, to the butcher about the right cut of meat. In every case, I nod my head, "uh-huh, uh-huh," hoping that I will glean something ...
A little canine with your coffee? Feline with your free time? Find it here at the Dog and Cat Cafes of South Korea’s capital! If you’re feeling that mid-afternoon slump, there are several branches of pet cafes scattered throughout the city where you can un-dull those 4pm doldrums and set your dander allergies on fire. Buy ...
With Melaka being a culture mix of Indian, Malay, Chinese, Dutch and Portuguese, amongst others, local customs are very much honored and preserved. Buddhists, keeping up with modern times, offer their ancestors the very best in the afterlife. Apart from the expected cash to spend and incense to purify and keep them from ...
If you're having any troubles with your eyes, head to the cliff-side Temple of the Eyesight Buddha on Mianshan Mountain to make your prostrations. After all, this Buddha would know - he has 5 eyes himself. But watch out, although he can cure diseases of the eyes, he is able to "perceive all things."
We all knew the DPRK would be fastidious in their care for appearances. Their garish carpets and upholstery harked back to a bygone time (the 60s? even then it probably wasn't in fashion). What I didn't expect was how much they liked their symmetry. Also, although these set ups had their charm and air of welcome, ...
The Chinese know how to lounge. You can often see them hanging about, as documented in www.sleepingchinese.com. Their things are also pretty good at hanging around...