Great New Indian Sidewalk Movie Posters

First, does anyone know where in Bangalore, or perhaps India, I can get cardboard mailing tubes for posters? They just don’t seem to be available. What is this nonsense!!!

Second, if you missed these posts about the grand outsider Ramachandraiah sidewalk posters, see them now!

Batch 1:
harry potter
Original sidewalk posters for Harry Potter, Tintin and more
Batch 2:
moogamudiMore real work, including American and Indian superheroes!
Batch 3:

Custom-made posters including M, The Third Man, Suspiria, Wild at Heart, and Sixteen Candles.

Third, here’s the new batch of Bangalore-style sidewalk posters Ramachandraiah did for some more of my favorite movies…

My Neighbour Totoro

ganesh-talkies-totoro

I’d really wanted to see how they’d handle a Ghibli film… we’ve been doing Miyazaki marathons here at the Husainabad apartment building, and I thought they’d pair perfectly with his style. Sure enough, they did. The Kannada title of this film translated to something like “Nice Monster Friend!” Cute, huh?

Cry-Baby

ganesh-talkies-crybaby
Ever since I saw this in London, with Pat Morano and John Waters sitting behind me, it’s held a special place in my heart. Raju missed the teardrop tattoo, but maybe you can just draw your own on? That’s what Cry-Baby Wade Walker would do.

Pandora’s Box

ganesh-talkies-pandoras-box
I had this one printed with my old Women in Film prof Roberta P in mind. It was her favorite film. At the time it was mine, too. Along with True Romance, of course.

Pink Flamingos

ganesh-talkies-pink-flamingos
Two John Waters? How could I not. “This is not actress,” said Ramachandraiah as I showed him the photo of Divine. He studied it, tapped his finger on her face, and said it again. “I think this is actor.” To explain it, I used the best word I could: “Hijrah.”

He glanced at me suspiciously, and nodded. “Yes, I see.”

The Toxic Avenger

ganesh-talkies-toxic-avenger
When they originally showed the Toxic Avenger in India, one reader told me recently, it was about half the length. They probably chopped out the best bits. :(

Sherlock Jr.

ganesh-talkies-sherlock-jr
And of course, Buster Keaton. Why does he look fat? Obese? Perhaps Raju is just a Fatty Arbuckle fan? When Ramachandraiah made me chose a theater name, but balked at using a real one, I threw out “Ganesh Talkies.” Older movie theaters still use the name Talkies… and it seemed right.

If you’re interested in copies, leave a comment below and when I find poster tubes I’ll let you know!

See more Great Posters, Sweet Movies and Wild Books or more stories from ,

23 Responses to Great New Indian Sidewalk Movie Posters

1. Adam Wilcox says:

I’d love to get my hands on one of the My Neighbour Totoro posters. Cheers Andy!

2. Hannah Regier says:

Nice work! I bet you could get one of the recycled paper vendors in city market to MAKE you mailing tubes!

3. Keith Calder says:

I would love a Totoro poster.

4. Dora says:

Ohh, I covet the totoro poster.

5. Marcus says:

They look great. Does he keep copies of all his posters? They need archiving or sticking in a book

6. Ash Randev says:

If you can’t find cardboard tubes, try the more durable and reusable grey PVC sewer pipes available from hardware stores.

• Andy Deemer says:

That’s actually a really interesting idea… I assume that’ll heavily impact the shipping cost, but it might be worth it. Will investigate more. Thanks!!!

• Ash Randev says:

Sure, these grey pipes will be heavier (and hence more costly to transport) but you’ll get a lot more works inside, plus they’ll be very well protected. You can get appropriately sized end caps as well, as I did!

7. Ash Randev says:

No, in New Delhi, sorry don’t know B’lore. Try shops for building materials.

8. Pingback: Ganesh | V V V V V

9. vidya nayak says:

If you still haven’t found cardboard mailing tubes in Bengaluru, try Taragupet/Chikpet in the lanes where they sell handmade paper, stationery and suchlike. You can find anything in Chikpet!

10. Bart says:

Dear Andy, I coincidentally stumbled upon your website and absolutely love it. Have been reading for more than an hour straight now. Great!

Question; I organize a quirky filmfestival in Holland. The movie posters this guy makes are absolutely amazing and i’d love for him to make a couple for our festival! Any idea how we could reach him and grant him the job to design posters for our festival?

Hope to hear from you!

Bart

11. Cody says:

I’d be interested in a copy of any or all of these (especially Totoro). Happy to pay postage, etc.

12. Chris Wilcox says:

Love these posters. Would be very interested in any of them particulary hisss, spider-man or totoro – but they’re all great

13. kritika says:

I would like to know where in bangalore i can find Ramachandraiah?

14. Brian says:

Andy,
    I have a friend’s relative in Bangalore and I’d would really like to get some of these. Is there someone I could contact to make some sort of arrangement?

15. johan salander says:

Hi Andy, These posters are pieces of art. I would be happy to buy a selection.
    Pls advice how to proceed.

Tc
    Johan
    Image Stockholm

16. Eva says:

Hi Andy, I keep spotting these posters around Bangalore, I am developing an obsession I think. I am so glad I came across your post about them!
    I would just love to get some of these posters before going back home. Is there any chance you could sell me a couple? I happen to be in Bangalore until August.
    eva