Nazi Fashion in China

That’s twice I’ve seen guys on my street wearing the Nazi iron cross.

The first was an office worker on lunch break. He was dressed in a handsome suit, but in place of a tie wore a heavy Nazi cross. He saw me staring, and he smiled. I think he thought it looked dapper. The second passed in a blur, but his iron cross was mounted in his suit like a boutonnière. But what’s an iron cross? Just an accessory, a small fashionable touch. It’s nothing like the full Korean nazis we’d met in Seoul.

But it’s a start.

I thought I’d take a glance at China’s top shopping site Taobao, and see what else I could find for the budding Beijing Nazi. (Tomorrow is, after all, Hitler’s 123rd birthday.)

The most popular is the must-have $12 Nazi iPhone4 cover, in your choice of slick distressed styles…

See more after the jump

Of course there was no end of generic $6 Nazi t-shirts and hoodies on offer.

But who wants those when you can dress in the style of the nouveau riche Nazi fashionista. All of these clothes were openly promoted as “Nazi Army Style” (纳粹军装). That’s right: the Nazi Army Spring and Summer 2012 Jacket, retro Nazi Army Uniform women’s belts, and even sexy Nazi Army Uniform zippered pants.

I was shocked to discover this totally hot double-breasted Adam Ant-style “Nazi Army Uniform Jacket” can be yours for just $30.

“Don’t worry,” said my good friend Reverb. “They don’t take the word Nazi seriously.”

“They just think it looks cool?”

“Exactly.”

That’s funny, I said. In America it means ‘I hate Jews.’

She responded by saying, “Oh.” But Chinese Nazis don’t just look cool. They play cool, too, with these neat Nazi toys like Seig Heiling 1:6 scale Hitler action figures, 3.75″ Nazi special force soldiers, and 1:32 Nazi character playlets! Fun for the whole Chinese Nazi family!

For the Nazi bling fan, $7 Iron Cross rings and necklaces are everywhere.

But ultimately, perhaps the best purchase you could make would be a classy Nazi statuette. One artist offers a wide array — life-size copper Third Reich eagles, life-size Hitler busts, and even bronze Nazi grunts. I mean can you imagine one of these sitting on a mantlepiece, or a carved oak table?

Now that’s what I call class.

See more Nazis Nazis Nazis or more stories from , ,

15 Responses to Nazi Fashion in China

1. Richard says:

The Iron Cross is not a Nazi symbol, it is Teutonic dating back thousands of years. It is also still in use in Germany. The Nazi swastika on the other hand is obviously Nazi. There is an iron cross with a swastika on it, was that what you saw?

So as to not deny readers the opportunity to follow our long (ongoing?) convo from FB….

DEAN (that’s me!) says: Richard, you lived in China long enough. You think Beijing hipsters are celebrating ancient symbols, or hip nazi fads? Just as the swastikas on red plastic poops (or jackets) in China aren’t
      celebrations of the 3000 year old symbol of luck — they’re celebrations of Hitler and sweet Nazi fashion. Sorry, mate — with or without the Swastika (one was with, one I don’t know — too fast) — they were tributes to Nazi fashion.

RICHARD says: The German Imperial Eagle is also pretty common today but it’s use isn’t about jewhate it’s about an attraction to the fashion of early-mid 20th century Germany. If someone dressed up like a 19th century southern gentleman I wouldn’t automatically brand him a racist unless he is carrying around the stars and bars.

DEAN says: True. And I never say these Chinese lads were racists. Quite the oppose, in fact. They just think Nazi looks cool.

RICHARD says: Well anyone wearing Nazi paraphernalia is being disrespectful whether they know it or not, but I don’t extend that to everything German in the world. It is only natural to crave early to mid 20th century German style. It was the cutting edge of the world at the time and still looks good today. The Iron Cross looks cool, so they wear it, not because it is Nazi but because it is cool.

DEAN says: Not sure if you missed the rest of the post — the bits with the hitler t-shirts, busts and action figures. (action figures that can sieg heil!) or the ladies fashion promoted as “nazi army uniform
      style.” the iron cross lads — one beswastikad one perhaps — were merely the opener and inspiration. But similarly, the Korean nazi cosplay kids didn’t actually wear any swastikas or anything other than the iron cross (if I recall — am on fb via email with no VPN) but I challenge you to defend their costumes as “celebratory of ancient German tradition.”

RICHARD says: No I saw it and I know it exists but I wouldnt call all of it “Nazi Fashion.” Some of it is Nazi Fashion while some of it is merely period German fashion.

DEAN says: I’m sure some of it is, Richard. I’m sure.

RICHARD says: What surprises me is how many girls wear crucifixes or crosses around their neck, yet have no christian affiliation.

DEAN says: Yet it’s exactly the same. (in China at least.) cool nice fashion!!! And that’s why I’m wearing my pro-imperial Japanese t-shirt this very moment!!! ;P

(DEAN after-the-fact adds: “I’m not really wearing that shirt right now.”)

2. Richard says:

Interesting that the Korean Cosplay link you have doesn’t have any swastikas on it either….

Exactly!! It’s bizarre, and yet they were fairly upfront that they were emulating Nazis.

(Oh, but notice on the Eagle above… the swastika hidden behind the photoshopped “SALE” sticker? Subtle, eh? ;)

3. OK. So how about the political correctness of everyone in our family collecting souvenirs from the Cultural Revolution? Hmmm…

Or the bound foot shoes used to torture/imprison/fetishize women, re-sold as cute collectables to foreigners! Interestingly, Cultural Revolution nostalgia is hugely popular among the Chinese, all across China… Today, the sidewalks and subways of Beijing are covered in C-R-era Lei Feng posters. Kids carry Mao bags, and concert posters and restaurant ads are done in hugely hip C-R style. The restaurant down the street brings landlords up on stage and “shoots” them while audiences cheer, wave flags, and sing Maoist songs, eating “retro” Great Leap Forward foods. The Nazi nostalgia movement hasn’t hit it big amongst the Germans or the Jews yet… But it’ll be interesting if it does.

4. Pingback: China loves their Nazi regalia and fashion | Hipster Jew

5. Gen says:

Man, fuck the American Empire and their egalitarian PC coward culture.
    I am Chinese. You know what I think when I see someone in a WW2 Japanese officer’s uniform? Nothing. Because I don’t give a shit about 70 years ago, and if you do, fuck you.

• Andy Deemer says:

But what do you really think, Gennifer…?

• Colin Li says:

Gen,

You personify the reason why we should give a shit about what happened 70 years ago. So empty-hearted, self-absobed fucks like you don’t get the chance to repeat our ancestors’ mistakes. Now crawl back to your damp, dark little pit, slip into your Salon Kitty inspired bustier, shove a bottle of Schnapps up your shit-caked, Nazi loving arse, and pretend you’re Eva Anna Paula Hitler, being royally gang-banged in the bunker by some obliging SS boys. Oh yeah – and FUCK YOU, TOO.

6. Steven says:

Look I like nazi fashion also and I think it’s great we aren’t letting someone else’s mistakes dictate what we wear but I can not agree with using the name nazi, knowing full well what that means, as a way to promote your product.

P.s. Neo-nazi hate crime(yes they are beating Chinese and Korean immigrants too) is still a big problem where I live so ya

7. Ronnie says:

Even showing only the pictures would be problematic in Germany. Still amazes me seeing the swastica casually pictured like in the article above and not in an educational/historical context. Seeing the usage of these symbols as mere fashion thingy is close to shoking.

8. Bernardo says:

What will be happened if Hitler were choice a white star or a circle how nazi symbol ?