A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters

I just got some lo-res photos of the new batch of 20″ by 30″ hand-drawn litho-printed Sandalwood/Kannada movie posters, and they’re fantastic! (If you missed reading about Raju, who draws a new movie poster every three hours, and the 1901 litho machine they’re printed on, go now!)

I have 100 of each of these, so let me know if you’d like one. (If you’re in Bangalore or Beijing, you can have them for free the cost of a coffee. Overseas, I’ll have to charge.) Let me know in the comments below!

My favorite, of course, is the first one…

Jessica Harper, absolutely gorgeous in Dario Argento’s Suspiria:

Nicholas Cage wearing his snakeskin jacket, a symbol of his individuality and his belief in personal freedom, in David Lynch’s Wild at Heart:

Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall and Michael Schoeffling in my favorite movie of all time, John Hughes’ (ahem, slightly misspelt) Sixteen Candles. I only regret the absolute absence of Gedde Watanabe as Long Duck Dong.

A strangely puckered Peter Lorre as the sick Grieg-whistling child killer in Fritz Lang’s M. (I just read Lang apparently threw Lorre down a staircase while filming, to rough him up a bit. Fantastic!)

Orson Welles as Harry Lime, suddenly dangerous with his pocketed pistol — it’s a setup! — in Carol Reed’s awesome The Third Man. Where’s Holly Martins? Probably drunk under the table again.

See more Great Posters, Our Weird Projects, Sweet Movies and Wild Books or more stories from ,

75 Responses to A Sweet New Batch of Indian Movie Posters

1. Darren Reed says:

I would love one of each of these, they all rank among my favorites! Just let me know what you need from me, will gladly pay shipping + your time. Thanks!

2. Marcus says:

Would love the Suspira poster. Happy to cover all costs.
    Thanks!

3. varun says:

Hi,

Thanks for being the link to this obscure-treasure. It’s brilliant stuff! I would like to collect/buy lots of them. I am traveling to Bangalore in February. Can you give me the address to this artist’s studio? (You will have my email id through this comment.) Or can I meet you and collect some of the ones you got made?

- Varun

4. LeeAnn says:

Love the Third Man one!

5. brian trifilio says:

hello, I would love the 16 candles one and the harry potter. I can pay for shipping via pay pal. Let me know and let me say this is amazing stuff as an artist myself. Have a good one

6. Sohan says:

Hey!

This is brilliant! would it be possible for you to give me the artist’s address? I live in Bangalore.

kick-ass post, this!

7. Dave Relf says:

Hi,

My wife and I are big fans of unique art from around the world. We’re currently living in Bahrain and would love posters of modern films, especially TINTIN. She is an art teacher and I teach English with a specialty in cultural studies. We would both benefit greatly from these pieces. Feel free to contact me if obtaining pieces is possible.

Thanks!!

8. Kevin says:

Love these.
    I would like to purchase, if you are interested in selling. Let me know what you need. Very interested in these.

9. Santosh Gowda says:

wow! these are amazing! I’d love the Suspiria and the M one! I’m based in Bangalore!

10. Pingback: India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters « SATYAMSHOT

11. Hrishikesh says:

Hi, I wanted to get in contact with the artist for a story. So, would you help me in procuring the relevant contact details? It would be awfully kind of you.

12. drwb100 says:

These are great. I would like to purchase some of these. Please e-mail me.

13. Rafn Herlufsen says:

I would LOVE! to get my hands on all of these. Please (pretty please) get in touch with me and let me know how to pay you :)

14. Brie says:

Hi Dean,

I’d really like to order some – any of these new ones and/or some of the kannada ones from your previous post. please drop me a line – I’ll pay!!

I’m heading to india in the next year potentially, so information about the studio would be really great i’d love to order a few!

Thanks
    Brie

15. Derek Gereg says:

Hi there, I’m very interested in all of these posters. If you could email the cost of shipping to the uk, many thanks.

16. tony ceccarelli says:

If there is any way to get that Suspiria one please let me know!

17. Neil S. says:

I’d like to grab at least one of these… please drop me a line at neil.sorenson AT gmail DOTCOM

thanks!

18. Kent Didlio says:

How do I buy?! Please PM me.

19. Ea ten Kate says:

I’d love to have one!!!!
    Preferably a Suspiria or M one. I live in sweden, so please contact me about shipping costs. Have a wonderful day and thanks for finding these gems!
    Ea

20. Nick says:

Hi! These are amazing! I would love to get a couple of these from you. I live in Minnesota in the US. I will pay you for shipping and labor. Let me know how we can work it out!

Thanks-
    Nick

21. Matt says:

Would really like to get my hands on Suspiria – please email me.

22. These are amazing! I would love to have a few mailed here to the states if you will let me know how best to wire the money for shipping. Email me, please! Thanks.

23. david says:

I agree these are great. I would love to get copies of them. Please let me know how to pay for shipping. Thanks

24. Mike says:

I’ve very interested. Please email the price to the US. Thanks!

25. Larry says:

Gotta have the Third Man!!

26. Raghav says:

Hi, would love one of each please. I’m in Gurgaon, so let me know how much they come out to be for. Cheers!

27. jose castanon says:

I am very interestd in a few of these, let me know how much it would be to ship them to Los Angeles, CA.

28. jung says:

These posters are fantastic–thank you for highlighting Raju’s work. I am interested in a copy of each poster. Please email me and I will send you payment for shipping plus my contact information. Thanks again!

29. Marcus says:

Hi
    My first comment seems to have got lost, but these are great as is the site. I’d love to get my hands on the Suspira one. Happy to pay all shipping costs, etc.
    Thanks!

30. Marcus says:

Oh, ignore that. I can see my first post now. Apologies

31. Mitch says:

I’d love a Suspiria one if you still have one! (And if you’d allow me to get greedy, a Third Man too. But if these are going fast, leave it for someone else.) I’d gladly pay shipping to the US, plus a little extra.

32. Dean says:

Hey there,

I’d love a copy of the Suspiria Poster, Wild at Heart, or M, whichever’s available (or if all three are, awesome). I can pay via Paypal or any method online that suits you. Please email me back at dcmarcial@calavera.us or dcmarcial@gmail.com … Thanks!

Dean

33. Gazpus says:

I’d love two Suspirias, two Wild at Hearts, two M’s and two Third Mans (Third Men)? Give me a shout!

34. These are truly amazing. Id love one of each (also future drawings…), i live in Denmark and will offcause pay shipping etc.

I have some similar Bangladeshi rickshaw-art/movie posters. Also handdrawn. Would you like to see them? I could tweet a few

I’d love to see those! I’m still working out shipping for the posters from China… but will let you know!

35. Eric says:

These are wonderful! Great post. I’d really love some copies if you could get in touch.

36. dominika says:

these are so cool! i would really love the “suspiria” and “wild at heart” posters. please get back to me. thanks.

37. Ryan Davis says:

Beautiful stuff, Dean. Always fascinating to see the various bits of Western culture that filter through to the rest of the world, and how it’s processed. Sign me up for a set, if they’re still available!

38. Brennan says:

Woukd absolutely love some of these. Eager to pay.

39. Hamish Townsend says:

May I have 1 each of these posters please. Send me what I need to order and pay for them.

They are amazing

@PaperSuitcase

40. Roland says:

Hey Dean.

As I told you in my E-Mail i would kindly ask you for a complete set of these great posters. How much would be the shipping (airmail – tube) to germany? Please inform me about the conditions – roland.fischer@uni-konstanz.de – thanks a lot.

R.

41. Phil says:

Sign me up please!

42. Travis says:

I would like to get maybe three of these as a set? Let me know what shipping would cost!

43. Stephanie says:

Oh my god, the Wild at Heart poster. I’d love one if you still have any left.

44. Mike Mullins says:

Hello!
    These are AWESOME!!! I’d love to get 2 of the Suspiria if they are available! I can paypal you whatever you’d need to get them to Seattle!
    Thanks!
    Mike

45. gredaline says:

I’d love the Suspira or Wild at Heart poster and would be happy to pay for whatever costs you have for shipping, etc.

46. Shawn says:

I’ll gladly pay for copies! Thanks for sharing.

47. A says:

Me too please! I’m based in Bangalore.
    Thanks a ton!

48. Lovely Suspira poster. Thank you for posting

49. Rick Hall says:

I live in Los Angeles, and I’d love to order a Suspiria (or 3 if you have extras) and M. Please let me know what it would take. Thanks, these are amazing!

50. Mark N says:

Hey there. I’d like one of each, if at all possible. Shipping to Toronto, Canada. Let me know what you need. nesbitt_m@hotmail.com

51. Wesley R Smith says:

Wow- when you’re back to Beijing I’ll barter for one of these amazing posters… If you’re interested- I will gladly trade any poster for the “cocktail of the year” trophy I totally STOLE from you and your stuffed rat!

Haha! No need of the cocktail trophy — the photos of my mouse-vodka bottle live on. ;P But maybe you guys have to join us for AIDS soup at Shimao Mall on Wednesday night! I’ll already be bringing some posters then…

52. What others you gots? Would want some if there’s other titles.

53. Beatrice says:

these posters are wonderful! any left? ;-) if possible, i would really love to get some! pls let me know !

• Andy Deemer says:

Sorry — all gone!! :( But keep an eye on the site. I’m moving to Bangalore in about a month, and will post if I get my hands on more!

54. Vince says:

I need a bunch of these – email me any info you may have – volhoo@yahoo.com

cheers…

55. rerun says:

For the last two years I would take the long walk from SG Palya to Christ College. And every time I walked by these posters, I would always wonder who was churning these out :D

Thanks for revealing who the man behind the picture is :)

Some of his English works are cringe-worthy albeit unique.
    (His rendition of Optimus Prime. It was so weird and crazy, I LOVED IT!)

56. Agri says:

a bit late to the game, but if you’ve still got any of the Suspiria posters, I’d love to take one off your hands and pay for whatever you need.

57. Holly Gibson says:

I know I’m late to the game…are all of these gone? Or is there another way to purchase them? Thanks so much!

Holly

58. Kevin Allen says:

Love to pick up a handful or two… let me know the details if shipping is available will pay via paypal.

59. Clayton Savage says:

Woul love the Suspiria and maybe all. Please price each and shipping costs. Can Paypal.

60. Pingback: 24 Gorgeous Hand-Painted Indian Movie Posters | Hindi Radio

61. steve says:

Love them all! If you stil have them available, please let me know the cost. Happy Holidays!!

62. JP Lindsey says:

These are great. I would like to purchase some of these. Please e-mail me.

63. Paul says:

I would love a Harry potter and 16 candles, please let me know how much for shipping to US?

64. Ben says:

These are great. I would like to purchase some of these.
    If you still have them available, please let me know the cost.
    For the shipping, i’m from France
    Please e-mail me.

65. Dave King says:

So cool! I’d love to get hold of a Suspiria poster if you still have one.

66. Dave King says:

…actually, I’d love to have a copy of The Third Man too. They’re so beautiful.

67. pradeep says:

priceless !.
    would love to get a custom one done for “Inception” or ‘The Dark Knight” and some more Bollywood classics . i am visiting Bangalore in the last week of Jan , how do i get this done?

68. I’d love to have one of SUSPIRIA! Is it still possible?

• Andy Deemer says:

Sadly, all the Suspirias flew out… and don’t have a way to send posters anymore. India doesn’t actually seem to have carboard poster tubes for sale! (???) Sorry!!!

69. kk says:

hi andy,
    would you please send me the address of the poster shop in bangalore? i have been there once, but i cannot remember, where it was exactly. now i want to have some posters printed for a theatre show.
    best, kk

70. ellen says:

gotta have a wild at heart. have any left? need it shipped to the usa, and willing to pay.
    Thanks!!!! just found your blog and it is right up my alley