India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters

Ramachandraiah prints movie posters for a living. He’s done it ever since 1971, when he bought an ancient lithograph press. He keeps it in a factory north of Bangalore, far from the English town where it was built 111 years ago.

Most movie posters here are lavish. They’re digitally-printed, full-color, and reach up to 30 feet long.

Ramachandraiah’s posters aren’t.

His are five-color, hand-drawn, and measure just 20 inches by 30 inches. They’re printed on thin paper, and illegally slapped up on building sites and highway overpasses late at night. They cost pennies to print. And they’re absolutely gorgeous.

In his small store-front, filled with shrines to a famous Kannada actor, Ramachandraiah sat me down with a tiny cup of coffee, and plucked two biscuits from a package.

“You must dip them,” he said, miming a biccie-dunk. “Now tell me what you want!”

It had taken me a month to track his shop down. I’d finally found it, hidden in a maze-like neighborhood of local movie theaters and one-shop film distributors.

I wanted copies of the posters — all of them — especially the American ones.

But more than that, I wanted my own poster. I wanted to commission one. (See the sweet new batch of Indian film posters at this more recent post.)

“Okay, okay, drink your coffee,” he said. “We will discuss.”

Outside on the sidewalk, the artist Raju set aside the poster he’d just finished for a Hindi-dubbed 3D run of Underworld: Awakening. He immediately started on another. Raju draws a poster every three hours. In a week, he creates campaigns for dozens of movies.

He traces movie stills or posters, or ads from the paper. Sometimes he just eyeballs other flyers for the same films. And I love the drama, the movement, the passion that he’d capture in his posters. I also loved the color. From one print to the next, it changes as the litho inks mix and combine.

The poster I most wanted was for Poultrygeist, the fowl gross-out musical I made a decade ago with my childhood hero Lloyd Kaufman. I wanted a Kannada original.

“What does Poultrygeist mean,” Ramachandraiah asked.

“Poultry means chicken,” said Raju.

“Yes, but cock? Or hen? And what is this geist? Like ghost? Or geist?”

Ramachandraiah pulled out an old dictionary, and started leafing through it. Raju flipped through a collection of printed publicity stills I’d brought. They argued about which ones would work best.

“Is there a Kannada title,” Ramachandraiah asked, quickly penning one in the local script. He pointed to each word as he translated it. “Night. Chicken. Ghost.

- -

A week later, I returned. The hundred posters were shoved in a corner, rolled up in a tight pile. Again, Ramachandraiah sat me down with a small cup of coffee and two biscuits, while his son unrolled the package.

“Dip the biscuits,” he urged.

His son held up the top poster.

“What do you think? Do you like it?”

I loved it.

I loved it so much, I ordered more. I couldn’t resist commissioning posters for some of my favorite other movies. (Check back in a week to see how they come out! Here’s a hint: Peter Lorre, Nicholas Cage, Orson Welles, Jessica Harper and Molly Ringwald.)

What movies would you choose? What stills would work best for this? And let me know if you’d like one.

Here are some more of Raju and Ramachandraiah’s wonderful ad campaigns…

See more Great Posters, Our Weird Projects, Sweet Movies and Wild Books or more stories from ,

113 Responses to India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters

1. Caleb Emerson says:

Carl Jr. Needs posters!

2. merrie says:

Want!! Thanks Andy!

3. Gabe Friedman says:

How cool is this?? You gotta send me a copy!

4. MJ says:

I’d love one! Truth be told, I’ve written a book and would love to have a poster made of it in that style! Let me know if something can be worked out.

5. TromaRon says:

That’s awesome! I need one!

6. Ruth Phelps says:

Red Lobster would love to have one too! :) Great work!

7. Dan Bova says:

I would kill Gabe Friedman twice for that Poultrygeist poster!

8. emma says:

andy, arsenio and i would LOVE one!

9. Van Man says:

yes, please. one for me, thanks!

10. troma says:

how do we get a poultrygeist?

11. Jeremy says:

Oh man, I definitely want one!

12. Aaron says:

Bro, It all makes sense now. Yes, I’d love one!!!

13. Lloyd/Troma would like to purchase 4! Please contact me, sabrina@troma.com, with details. Thanks!

14. Pingback: Coolest Finds of the Week #26 | Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities

15. Jan says:

I would order a bunch of those! Contact me for a list of posters. ;)

Tanks for posting this! Simply awsome!

16. Kevin Noble Hellon says:

He’s wonderful!

I would gladly purchase one.

17. Brian Moore says:

I honestly love all of them… Especially the Harry Potter and the one with the woman bleeding from her head with her fist up.

I would order any and all that he offered. Want. No, sorry—need. Let me know if we can somehow get in touch with him.

18. Brian Moore says:

But, to follow up, I’d love to see (and buy) any of these poster-ed:

The Royal Tenenbaums
    Sunset Boulevard
    Clockwork Orange
    Wall-E
    Annie Hall
    Big
    Fight Club
    The Breakfast Club
    Bill Cunningham New York
    Office Space

Oh, those would be fantastic! I’d love to see how a young Woody Allen would translate into one of these! And any noir film, I think would be just fantastic. (Sunset Boulevard could be perfect… the vampy climactic staircase-descent?!) They’re doing a 16 Candles poster right now… I’m still waiting for pix of it (and to get back to Bangalore to get my hands on it and the others… just three weeks!) What image would you use from Royal Tenenbaums, tho??? And how about a Dating Brian poster? ;P

19. jose galvez says:

How can I get one these are AWESOME!

20. bork says:

Somebody get this guy an Etsy store.

In any case, if anyone’s putting together orders with him, please email me – borkborkbork@live.com. I’d love to buy one.

21. Jay says:

Gorgeous! I’d love one!

22. ccw says:

those are incredible, how can i get one?

23. Jinu Kurien says:

Poultrygeist for me !!!!

24. M3 Sweatt says:

Those are brilliant. Very interested in getting a couple of these. Details?

25. Steve says:

Damn right, I want one! No, two! Damn right!

26. Pingback: India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters « Things I grab, motley collection

27. Darren Reed says:

Would love one of Poultrygeist! Let me know what you need from me.. Thanks!

28. Aubrey says:

Love this! How can we purchase?

29. Ross says:

Please email me if there is a way to buy these posters. They are awesome

30. Maya says:

Wow! These look gorgeous. Would make for an excellent gift for a friend. I live in Bangalore. Dean – could you please share Ramachandraiah’s contact number/address with me. Thanks.

31. Kiran Koduru says:

Thats some fascinating work there . And 3hours on one poster , damn !

32. Lola Binkerd says:

I need one of these posters in my life!!!! The Sixteen Candles one is breathtaking. I would also love to see and buy one of the following:

Sharktopus
    The Muppet Movie
    Breakfast Club
    Royal Tenenbaums
    The Hunger Games (I know it’s not out yet!)
    Empire Records

I am 100% serious about buying copies of these amazing posters!

33. Lola Binkerd says:

And for Hunger Games, which is out in March and will be amazing:

34. Mike Padua says:

Want want want. Let me know how I can buy one.

35. Sidharth Bhatia says:

would love to get one done.

36. brian trifilio says:

amazing stuff– would love to get one shipped to us and would gladly pay– let me know ! thanks

37. Pingback: India’s Incredibly Cool Hand-Drawn Movie Posters « SATYAMSHOT

38. Caroline Greenway says:

Stunning, if they’re for sale I’d buy one.

39. Jay Bowser says:

Wow, I would absolutely love one! Of really any movie, I’m not picky at all! But a genuine Bollywood film poster would be super sweet. If these are being sold, count me in. Wonkafire613@gmail.com

40. John S says:

Great post, I would like to commission and purchase some as well!
    You can reach me at jsuozzi42@gmail.com

Thanks a bunch! -John

41. Evan says:

How do I get one??

42. Raghav says:

Hi, would love to get a few. Do contact for a list. Cheers!

43. chaitanya says:

many have found them wonderful here but the streets don’t look good when they are pasted. and i live in bangalore. i want them to be removed

I’ll see what I can do about getting them sent away, overseas!!! ;P Sorry… I understand how you might feel. But at the same time, they’re so absolutely unique and gorgeous!

44. Matt Smith-Johnson says:

I’d love one for “Uncle Buck”

John Candy FTW!

45. Eric says:

Would LOVE a Poultrygeist poster and any others you could send. let me know how I can pay and if this is possible. thanks so much.

46. Pingback: Modern hand lettering of India

47. Travis says:

Yay! These are great! I’d love to get a hold of one of these!

48. Pooja Pande says:

Ghost Protocol, please. And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. How?

49. gredaline says:

Thanks so much for posting these! I worked in Bangalore for a year and loved seeing the new posters every week on my commute to work. So happy to see images of more of them and find out who makes them. I have photos of a few more on my flickr feed too.

Those ones on your flickr feed are great!!! I love the all-blue Mummy 3, and I had NO IDEA there was a Keanu Reeves remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still. Yowza!!!

50. Shawn says:

I would LOVE one! Great post.

51. V says:

Why not commission an ‘Asia Obscura – The Movie’ poster?

52. Pingback: Items of Interest – 29-Jan-12 to 5-Feb-12 | KARTHIK82.COM

53. Pingback: Reading/Thinking/Writing/Making/Sharing » India’s hand drawn movie posters

54. Kent Didlio says:

How do I get a poultrygeist, third man or M poster?

I’ll be posting some info in the next few days — still working out shipping. (Can’t even find cardboard tubes for sale in Beijing… hoping that I can find some in Bangalore and start taking orders next week, instead.)

55. Ruth Phelps says:

Thank you, Andy!

56. Reshma says:

I would love to purchase one. Please mail me the details.

57. Denny says:

Fantastic work. I’d love one!

58. Pingback: Les affiches de films indiens dessinées à la main de Ramachandraiah | Le Madblog

59. Jyothin says:

Hi,

Nice article and awesome find… could you please share Ramachandraiah’s contact number/address with me?

Thanks.

60. Nisha says:

These are so amaaazing! Could I purchase one that’s made to order please? Already have a spot marked out for it at home and everything!!

61. Hannah says:

I love seeing his posters around Bangalore and I love your cult classic series. Great project. Is there any way to buy a couple of them from you locally — without having them shipped from China?

62. Michael L. says:

These are truly amazing posters.
    Can we commission other posters to the artist? Are you the middle-man for that?
    I have titles I’d really love to see done by him.
    Jacques Tati films (Jour de fete/ My Uncle/ Mr Hulot’s holidays) any of these
    Andrei Tarkovsky films (Stalker / Solaris)
    Frankenstein (original James Whale movie with Boris Karloff)
    Godard films (A bout de souffle/ Alphaville/ Pierrot le fou)
    Melville films (Le Samourai)
    Among other…

besides, can you contact me on my email Dean, so that I can order a batch of several posters directly from you?

I’m not a middleman, but I might get more done…. those are some amazing ideas (and I’d been thinking about a New Wave series — lots of Antione Doinel… ;P ) M. Hulot would be fantastic, as well…

You can order the existing posters from http://asiaobscura.com/store, although I’ll be shutting the store down for two weeks, in about 48 hours. (I’ll be traveling, so won’t be able to send any out.)

Thx!

63. wb says:

I’d order a poultry geist.

64. Michael Bugg says:

I am interested in getting one. I would like to get more detailes about it. Thanks

65. Serena Makofsky says:

Hello! I loved your post. I would love to write about Ramachandraiah and his art for a piece I’m writing about artists’ interpretations of movie posters. Do you have an email address for him?

Hi Serena, sorry but afaik he doesn’t have email. (I’ll ask him next time I’m in Bangalore, but he’s an old man using a 1901 piece of machinery. Not your top gmail candidate. ;P) If you’re in BLR, though, I’d gladly email you directions to his shop….

• Serena Makofsky says:

Thanks so much for your reply! I would love to reference your interview in my article. If that’s okay with you, what name do you prefer I use? Best, Serena

That’d be fine! Be sure to send me a link! And why don’t you call me the real one: Andy Deemer. :-) Thanks!!

66. Ramdas Nair says:

Hi Dean,
    Iam based in Mumbai. I want to get some posters done with him. could you send me his email id and telephone nos. Would be quite greatful

67. Pingback: Mostly, Occasionally, Never « purplesime's ponderings

68. Karl Fornander says:

Great site ….I love this focus on the posters
    Can you please send me directions the place where they make these movie posters !!
    I will be eternally grateful !!

I”m working in Bangalore now…in sleepy Whitefield

Thanks…love your site

69. Mia says:

These are incredible! Are you able to get some on order? How much? :) I tried the link for your store page but it’s not working. These are super amazing, my husband is an artist and if you’re willing to act as a go-between I’d LOVE to order some myself (and happy to pay you something for your time as well).

• Andy Deemer says:

Hi Mia! Sorry, but I’ve gotten this request a bunch of times, and after a lot of consideration decided I couldn’t add this to my workload. :( (It wouldn’t be easy.) If you guys come to Bangalore, though, I’d love to take (or send) you there!!! I sold out of almost all of my posters, and moved myself into a storage unit, so took down the store. Sorry!!! But LOVE that you like them!!! :)

• Mia says:

Thanks so much for the reply… but MAN WHAT A BUMMER! Hubs would have loved some horror movie posters (the classics, Jason, Freddy etc). Well… if you ever need some pocket money or want an art trade (www.thedarkcloak.com), shoot me a message, I would absolutely be up for this anytime since going to Bangalore is not a possibility in my lifetime I think :) And thanks for sharing these amazing things! I’ve only just found your site today and managed to waste about 7 hours :P

70. Pingback: Awesome handdrawn Movieposters from India › Nerdcore

71. Bijal says:

Hi Andy, I am in Bangalore currently. Any way I could get this artist’s contact? I will explain more over email. Many thanks

72. Pingback: Check Out This Massive Collection Of Hand Drawn Indian Film Posters | CROMEYELLOW.COM

73. Pingback: 印度手绘海报大神 « Ethermetic

74. Pingback: Shortstacks #5 « Naomi Blogs

75. Nico says:

Wow! I’m so jealous Andy! I’ve been scraping those posters off the walls since I arrived in Bangalore 10 months ago to hang them with pride in my living room. Now you’re telling me you got Ramachandraiah’s details? would you dare sharing is address with me? That would be much appreciated!

76. Pingback: Indian hand-drawn movie posters | The Doubly

77. Pingback: Awesome Bootleg Movie Posters From 8 Countries « シ最愛遲到.!

78. Carrie G says:

Hi there, I know I’m late to this party but in case you’re still around, I work for Rupert Wyatt who directed RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. He loves the poster for his film, is there any way we could get a couple or even one? Happy to pay! Would love it if you could email me and let me know how that might be accomplished? Or if anyone has any information on how to acquire one from the US? Many many thanks x

• Andy Deemer says:

Hi! Sorry, but the only copy I have right now is in a storage unit somewhere in China. I’ll keep an eye out for another copy, though — I do stop by Ramachandraiah’s office occasionally…

79. Pingback: When Hollywood Movie Posters can't be Imported: A Bootleg Retrospective | Messy Nessy Chic Messy Nessy Chic

80. Sonia says:

Hi where can i get one of these awsome poster ?
    I’m in Paris.. :)

• Andy Deemer says:

You can come to Bangalore! ;P Although perhaps I could bring one or two to Paris in July… let me see!

81. david cantella says:

WHERE CAN I BUY SOME

82. batface says:

Thanks for the article Andy :) Where in Bangalore can i find him?